Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu full time now!

Beans

Thumbs up Ubuntu full time now!

I finally took the time to find all linux versions of software I used in windows, internet radio is still a pain, but I ditched windows all together FOREVER!

I did buy a Macbook pro 17 from my mom, but it was only because she never really used it and I could load Xubuntu on it (I have always disliked apple's operating systems). lol

Now it's strictly linux 100% of the time.

I had been playing with ubuntu for about 6 years, I just wanted to thank all these knowledgeable folks in the forums here! Yes, I am a new member here on the forums, I was merely a lurker. Had it not been for my findings poking around the forums here over the years, I couldn't have done it. So a big thanks!

2 things.

I went with Xubuntu because I was concerned about the privacy when it's coming to Unity. Hopefully Xubuntu will never have this feature at all. I even went as far as disabling logging.

Second, with all the privacy crap going on in the news and such, I no longer wanted anything to do with windows, skype, apple (Though I never used apple), Anything google, anything microsoft, anything yahoo and the list goes on.

(Puts tinfoil hat on) lol

I even went as far as setting up a decent firewall, adblock, no script and am learning more every day when it's coming to security.

Do I have anything to hide?

Absolutely not!

I just won't empower those who infring on our privacy. I understand nothing and no OS is absolutely secure, but using ubuntu and deleting accounts from all the major vendors and boycotting their websites is a first step to saying "Your business and privacy practices are unacceptable!"

Sorry, I'm rambling....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu full time now!

Glad to hear your happy with xubuntu though i do have to say that if the primary reason you switched is because of the amazon lens, and the so-called privacy issues... well, no offense but i think that is rather a silly reason...and rather then repeat what i said earlier in a thread in the security section of the forum, you can read it here on this link: (mine is the 3rd post down)...also, it helps provide some revenue to Canonical to develop ubuntu...there is no sinister reason for it being done...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2156486&page=2

I will say this...i think xubuntu's native dvd burner runs rings around Brasero as that has been broken in ubuntu for ages so i always had to switch to K3b which of course is the kde burner (and is outstanding) but recently added XF-BURN and it works great and super fast too...only feature it lacks is "disc to disc" copying which both Brasero and K3b do have....
    Last edited by craig10x; June 23rd, 2013 at 02:26 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Glad to hear your happy with xubuntu though i do have to say that if the primary reason you switched is because of the amazon lens, and the so-called privacy issues... well, no offense but i think that is rather a silly reason...and rather then repeat what i said earlier in a thread in the security section of the forum, you can read it here on this link: (mine is the 3rd post down)...also, it helps provide some revenue to Canonical to develop ubuntu...there is no sinister reason for it being done...
    Exactly. It's not like they are going into your computer and reading your most private stuff. It's merely a way to generate revenue and show you ads of things you already search/look at. And btw, you can turn that feature off. Even without Unity, my chromium browser shows me ads geared towards what I like and things I look at. It wouldn't make sense for them to show me ads for things I don't care about. The privacy issue is really a non-issue.

But anyway, glad to hear you are enjoying ubuntu and have decided to use it full time. Have fun!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post

I will say this...i think xubuntu's native dvd burner runs rings around Brasero as that has been broken in ubuntu for ages so i always had to switch to K3b which of course is the kde burner (and is outstanding) but recently added XF-BURN and it works great and super fast too...only feature it lacks is "disc to disc" copying which both Brasero and K3b do have....
    Yes, it is and was the primary reason. I didn't care for the desktop environment anyways, though I could have changed it. It just turned out I like Xubuntu the best.

I did read your posts you linked to. "The paranoids"? Well, maybe so. Yet, maybe there are too many who are just not paranoid enough. I tried to do more research on the unity thing, I just don't have a full understanding of it. Rather than spend days trying to understand, I just fell back on Xubuntu. Also, I didn't think there was a sinister reason for Unity, I didn't mean to sound like I was slamming ubuntu. I would just rather not allow that sort of thing on my machines.

Beans

Your Chromium browser shows ads? I have not seen any of those yet, Though I only used chromium for better video quality for videos, Firefox was having an issue with flash on my hp netbook. But ever since I loaded Xubuntu on my macbook pro, flash isn't an issue and I finally got to uninstall Chromium all together.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Which internet radio gives you pain? Did you install the gecko-mediaplayer? I listen to a few radio station which don't use flash and gm works great. Works in Firefox.

As for the shopping lenses, if that bother you all you need to do is to go System Settings > Privacy and turn off online search. I turn it off because I don't want my dash to turn into a billboard, but I don't consider that "spying". What it does is no different in principle from music players going online looking for album art and so on. The only issue I have with it is that it is not an opt-in feature, not that it is doing something nefarious in itself. I think with online activities being the norm nowadays people are right to be concerned about privacy, but let's not overblown things and confusing unrelated issues and trivialize real security issue like software with NSA backdoors.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 23rd, 2013 at 05:18 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Which internet radio gives you pain? Did you install the gecko-mediaplayer? Works in Firefox. As for the shopping lenses, all you need to do is to go System Settings > Privacy and turn off online search, I can't see how that is "spying".
    Again, I didn't mean to come off as slamming Ubuntu or making accusations, I would just rather not have it on my machines at all. I'm not the most proficient at linux and realize I could have probably just uninstalled it, but I worried about breaking other packages and dependencies, which is why Xubuntu fit the bill. Besides, I liked ubuntu lucid and learned they were no longer going to support it. Xubuntu made it super easy for me to have the same desktop setup I had with Lucid.

Internet radio? I think I'm just spoiled with Winamp... It was easy to open it and find my favorite shoutcast stations, it seems like there's nothing solid and or fragmented information when it's coming to internet radio for linux. I just want a similar media player that can handle that without having to look up playlists and then trying to figure out how to load said playlist. If I was rich and could hire developers? I would make a huge and free contribution of an awesome media player that covers it all. I have always said, the only thing windows has over linux (For now) is the media end of things.
    Last edited by linuxlovin; June 23rd, 2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Spelling

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

I think Clementine, Guayadeque, Amarok all support shoutcast though I never tried. I don't know about rthymbox though.

As I said you don't need to uninstall anything, just push an off button and no more online search.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I think Clementine, Guayadeque, Amarok all support shoutcast though I never tried. I don't know about rthymbox though.

As I said you don't need to uninstall anything, just push an off button and no more online search.
    Thank you. I knew about the on-off thing, but that wasn't good enough for me personally. I actually did an uninstall of Unity to see what would happen, everything appeared fine, but I was worried that I may have broke something that I didn't know. That's when I took another look at Xubuntu, it doesn't even have the packages for unity. It does however have zietgiest, I found a way to disable it though. Sounds extreme, I know... lol

And thanks for the internet radio suggestions, I'll look into it.

Beans

Personally I would not let this NSA crap scare you, forget about it, let them snoop yah.
    There are more of us then them.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; June 23rd, 2013 at 06:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast