Thread: Skype alternative that works on ubuntu and android?

Beans

Question Skype alternative that works on ubuntu and android?

I yall! Can someone please advise me on this situation?

I have Xubuntu installed on both my hp netbook and Macbook pro 17 3,1. I do not own a smartphone (Or any phone for that matter) but my wife does have an android phone.

We have been using skype (Me for my Macbook xubuntu and her from her android smartphone running ice cream sandwich) to communicate.

I need a solution, a skype alternative. Something I can set up on her android phone and my Macbook pro.

Can I run ekiga on my xubuntu intallation and have her download some compatible android app and set up a sip account?

And if so, I would I go about configuring this?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Skype alternative that works on ubuntu and android?

I may be misunderstanding, but I run the Skype for Linux from skype.com and Skype from the Play store. Are there outstanding reasons making that not an option for you? Not trying to be a smarty but that would seem easiest.
    Sincerely.
    Ubuntu 13.04 (Raring Ringtail)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Have you tried Google Talk?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Have you tried Google Talk?
    It's not called Google Talk anymore, it is called Google Hangouts. It amalgamates Google Talk/Chat/Messenger and the old Hangouts. It is ultimately the best cross-platform communications program nowadays, particularly if you use Google Chrome browser and the Hangouts extension. The problem, of course, is getting all your friends/family to switch over

Beans

Thanx for the reply. I just started another thread that will answer your question, I will paste an excerpt here:

I went with Xubuntu because I was concerned about the privacy when it's coming to Unity. Hopefully Xubuntu will never have this feature at all. I even went as far as disabling logging.

Second, with all the privacy crap going on in the news and such, I no longer wanted anything to do with windows, skype, apple (Though I never used apple), Anything google, anything microsoft, anything yahoo and the list goes on.

(Puts tinfoil hat on) lol

I even went as far as setting up a decent firewall, adblock, no script and am learning more every day when it's coming to security.

Do I have anything to hide?

Absolutely not!

I just won't empower those who infring on our privacy. I understand nothing and no OS is absolutely secure, but using ubuntu and deleting accounts from all the major vendors and boycotting their websites is a first step to saying "Your business and privacy practices are unacceptable!"