Thread: ????E: The package flashplugin-nonfree:i386 needs to be reinstalled, but????

Beans

????E: The package flashplugin-nonfree:i386 needs to be reinstalled, but????

OK i searched the web and found a few sites that talk about this problem and the all seem to have the same problem but they either dont post the solution or the posted solution dosnt work for me...When I try to install adobe flash player (Witch is suposed to come with crome) it soped mid install i had searched the web for a .deb pakage and found a bad one i guess so I tryed to reinstall it to no avail, so I tryed uninstalling software update and this is the problem:::

me@noneofyourbiz:/home/me$ sudo apt-get remove software update
    [sudo] password for me:
    Sorry, try again.
    [sudo] password for me:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: The package flashplugin-nonfree:i386 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.
    :::

I need help i cant use softwarecenter at all and i cant perg or even force perg it says there is no file by that name when i look up the logs there is an .postinst and a .premp log but i at best can only read them when I try to delet even as admin i am told i dont have rights. Do i need to unlock Root ?

FYI am useing ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit
    Last edited by H15; June 27th, 2013 at 07:09 PM.

Beans

Re: ????E: The package flashplugin-nonfree:i386 needs to be reinstalled, but????

You need to install adobe-flashplugin:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
    It is available in the partner repository.

To my knowledge, flashplugin-nonfree was retired a few releases ago. Also, Chrome has its own flash player, which is not the same as Adobe Flash.

Beans

Re: ????E: The package flashplugin-nonfree:i386 needs to be reinstalled, but????

1st thanx for the help but everything I have tryed has had this same problem....
    ************************************************** ***************************************
    H152@minenoturz:~$ su -- H15
    Password:
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
    [sudo] password for H15:
    Building dependency tree
    E: The package flashplugin-nonfree:i386 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.****
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$
    ************************************************** ****************************************
    I am useing Ubuntu 12.04 I was as up to date as of the time of the issue but now when I try to update I get....
    ************************************************** ******************************************
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ yum update
    The program 'yum' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install yum
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ update
    No command 'update' found, did you mean:
    Command 'xupdate' from package 'libxml-xupdate-libxml-perl' (universe)
    Command 'uupdate' from package 'devscripts' (main)
    Command 'lupdate' from package 'qt4-linguist-tools' (main)
    Command 'lupdate' from package 'qt3-dev-tools' (main)
    update: command not found
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ sudo apt-get install yum
    Building dependency tree
    E: The package flashplugin-nonfree:i386 needs to be reinstalled, but I can't find an archive for it.****
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ uupdate
    The program 'uupdate' is currently not installed. You can install it by typing:
    sudo apt-get install devscripts
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ sudo apt-get install devscripts
    Building dependency tree
    ************************************************** ***************************************
    I cant install update or remove anything without getting this reply.
    Last edited by H15; June 27th, 2013 at 07:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

H15; Hey ...

I will try and help you.
    To understand what is going on, do in terminal:
    Code:
    apt-cache search flashplugin-nonfree
    out put shows "flashplugin-installer" as well as "adobe-flashplugin" that only tells us what packages need to be installed.
    do:
    Code:
    apt-cache depends adobe-flashplugin
    That tells us both what we need to have installed as well as what we do not need to have installed.

So, let us see what you do have installed:
    Code:
    dpkg -l flashplugin-installer
    dpkg -l adobe-flashplugin
    once these are known we can remove and/or (re-)install that package the package manager is unhappy with.

We are working with 'buntu's package manager within 'buntu's software repositories; between what is installed, what is available. what you want installed, what it takes in get that package installed when there now exist conflicts and/or broken packages.

All can be fixed ...But I make no promises about the continued usage of adobe-flash. I have given up on flash usage in respect to FaceBooK , YouTube and other sites requiring the latest versions of flash in order to display video !

what ya want to do ?
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

1st thanx I am still super noobish, ok heres what happend......
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    ************************************************** ************************************************
    H152@minenoturz:/home/$ su -- H15
    Password:
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ sudo apt-cache search flashplugin-nonfree
    [sudo] password for H15:
    Sorry, try again.
    [sudo] password for H15:
    flashplugin-installer - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
    flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound - Adobe Flash Player platform support library for Esound and OSS
    adobe-flashplugin - Adobe Flash Player plugin version 11
    flashplugin-nonfree - Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ apt-cache depends adobe-flashplugin
    adobe-flashplugin
    Depends: wget
    wget:i386
    Depends: fontconfig
    fontconfig:i386
    Depends: libatk1.0-0
    Depends: libc6
    Depends: libcairo2
    Depends: libfontconfig1
    Depends: libfreetype6
    Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
    Depends: libglib2.0-0
    Depends: libgtk2.0-0
    Depends: libpango1.0-0
    Depends: libx11-6
    Depends: libxcursor1
    Depends: libxext6
    Depends: libxrender1
    Depends: libxt6
    Suggests: firefox
    Suggests: konqueror-nsplugins
    Suggests: x-ttcidfont-conf
    Suggests: <msttcorefonts>
    ttf-mscorefonts-installer
    |Suggests: ttf-bitstream-vera
    Suggests: ttf-dejavu
    Suggests: ttf-xfree86-nonfree
    Suggests: xfs
    Suggests: libnspr4-0d
    Suggests: libnss3-1d
    |Recommends: adobe-flash-properties-gtk
    Recommends: adobe-flash-properties-kde
    Conflicts: <flashplayer-mozilla><--
    Conflicts: <flashplayer-mozilla:i386><--
    Conflicts: <flashplugin><--
    Conflicts: <flashplugin:i386><--
    Conflicts: <flashplugin-downloader><--
    flashplugin-downloader:i386<--
    Conflicts: flashplugin-downloader:i386<--
    Conflicts: flashplugin-installer<--
    flashplugin-installer:i386
    Conflicts: flashplugin-installer:i386<--
    flashplugin-installer
    Conflicts: xfs<--
    Conflicts: xfs:i386<--
    Replaces: <flashplugin>
    Replaces: <flashplugin:i386>
    Conflicts: adobe-flashplugin:i386<--
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ dpkg -l flashplugin-installer
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-==============-==============-============================================
    un flashplugin-in <none> (no description available)
    H15@minenoturz:/home/H152$ dpkg -l adobe-flashplugin
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name Version Description
    +++-==============-==============-============================================
    un adobe-flashplu <none> (no description available)
    ************************************************** ************************************************** *********
    ************************************************** ************************************************** **********
    Now I assume that the parts that are cusing the problem are the conflicts and if so then just spit-balling here but did I find my self a Firefox only .deb install ??? is that even a thing I need to look for next time ??? //I use Crome
    and one more I also assume --
    Depends:-- are installd and --Suggests:--are optional pakeges and --Recommends:-- are pakeges that I need???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Are you having troubles getting the pepperflash plugin for chrome working?
    Try looking in the chrome plugins menu
    Open a blank tab and enter this
    Code:
    chrome://plugins
    Sometimes you have to click the details button at the top right area, and then scroll down the list till you find the shockwave flash stuff.
    Make sure it says disable, that means it's running.

As far as getting other flash variants installed
    Flashplugin-nonfree is no longer available.
    Adobe-flashplugin needs the partner repository enabled.
    The easy solution is to install flashplugin-installer
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
    Flashplugin installer downloads the files directly from adobe, where as adobe-flashplugin is pulled from Ubuntu's maintained partner repos.

Best practice is to run an update on a system before doing any installs
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

apt-get update works so i guess I am updating but it still failed and I still cant watch youtube there is still no flash/shockwave anything in crome.... and I am still getting the same reply to sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
    :::

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

H15; Hey, Mornin'n to ya ..

Ok... What is your browser.
    If not FireFox or another derivative on that base, then you do not need to install any flash components.
    1. Chromium: ...flash is built into it .. only requiring -if not on by default - ..typing "chrome://plugins" in the adress bar will indicate what plugins (flash) are enabled.

2. Google-Chrome: uses it's own application "pepper" for flash ,,,and is enabled by default. No action on your part should be required to enable that compenent.

My experience with flash:
    Adobe no longer supports linux with any updates to flash, only security fixes, thus FireFox is lacking;
    Chromium also uses adobe flash and is lacking.
    In order to view ALL flash content on the web, I installed Google-Chrome, on this system I am in reference to, is an old Nvidia graphics card with little onboard ram (512 MB)... and Chrome crashes in intense situations.

What it boils down to in my opinion is that if you are not running high end hardware and with ubuntu you are not running Google-Chrome as your web browser you will not as a "home" user have a good experience on the web in today's political situation with adobe's support structure and the requirement of high end hardware to meet peoples' demand for great graphics, that is presently a part of the web.

There are other browsers out there, many as a matter of fact ... most requiring a high level of knowledge and experience to install and operate in today's world.

That all said ... do we need to "remove" all traces of adobe flash ... and (re-)install Chromium ? OR maybe see about installing Google-Chrome.... beyond version 12.04 is a bit of a challenge, as Google's browser still depends on an old library and must be installed via Google's ppa. In order to do so one has to obtain the proper security keys from the server.

To the situation at hand; To remove adobe flash; We do not know how deeply embedded it is into the system, What I suggest we do in order to proceed to remove it, is use the utility "synaptic" to see and remove components.

Else we can resort to terminal commands and try it as a "shotgun" approach to get rid of it... what effect that would have on chromium I do not know ... requiring most likely a (re-)installation of Chromium.....

It is your system, what do you want on it? What methods are you the more comfortable with in resolving this situation ?

just try'n to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since there is no flashplugin-nonfree packages from the Ubuntu repos, as far as I can tell, did you try installing it through other means?
    If so, you might need to use the dpkg tool to remove whatever is there.
    Try
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --purge flashplugin-nonfree:i386
    or variants of this, and see if it can clear out the problem app.

You can also look at former forum admin's bodhizazen's method for fixing very broken packages, which ironically in his example is the flashplugin-nonfree package
    http://blog.bodhizazen.net/linux/apt...oken-packages/
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans