Thread: MSI Wind U180 Ubuntu

Beans

Unhappy MSI Wind U180 Ubuntu

I just downloaded and installed Ubuntu onto my MSI Wind U180 netbook however I'm having some problems getting it to work as expected. The main problem I have is that the wireless card isn't being picked up so at the moment I have to use the ethernet if I want to go online. Also I can't get the cedar trail graphics driver to install from the additional drivers or from software centre. No application will install onto my netbook at the moment, they all come back with dependency issues regardless of the application.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: MSI Wind U180 Ubuntu

Which version of ubuntu did you install?

I have Xubuntu 12.04 on my netbook, which is apparently a re-badged version of the MSI Wind U100, bought from Novatech in UK about three years ago.

Everything worked out of the box with that machine using 10.04 with the gnome 2 DE to start with then updated via Lubuntu 11.10 to Xubuntu 12.04, which I like the best of all.

I am aware that wireless seems to present some problems in 13.04 on some hardware, so perhaps it is worth having a try with Xubuntu 12.04 on your machine as well.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans

I was running Ubuntu 12.04 but getting no luck with it at all, I'll try a fresh install of XUbuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi there.
    I, too, own an MSI U180, & I did have some success with the cedar trail graphics drivers from the repos, but only some. I think this has to do with proprietary drivers being a bit of a pain.

The now defunct (I'm fairly certain) MeeGo OS worked really well on it, & Fedora runs with the correct resolution too. (I just can't get my head around Fedora's mechanisms).
    I never had any issues with my wireless so I can't help with that.

This is my netbook,
    There are many like it
    But this one has a crazy graphics chip...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi there, again.
    I just thought I'd say that I've been fiddling with Lubuntu 13.04 recently & the graphics problem appears to now be a non-issue (at least in the Live Environment).
    It also appears that the U180 quite happily runs a 64bit OS too, which surprised me, but what the hey. (Win 7 starter is a 32 bit OS I think).
    Have devs looked into the VR Power/GMA3600 thing or something? I'm just interested to find out.

I'll be trying a dual boot install later & will report my findings.
    Last edited by verymadpip; July 5th, 2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: addition

Beans

What is your wireless card model? Just get the windows drivers for it and use NDISWRAPPER. It might work. Google 'ndiswrapper' for more info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi everybody!
    Here's a current sit rep with my U180:
    Graphics & wireless working flawlessly so far with Lubuntu 13.04 32bit.
    This may be something OP might consider, or even Xubuntu 13.04. I, for one, would like to hear of any results with such an experiment.

Let's hope this state of play remains up to & including LTS release when that happens.