Thread: warning: SASL: Connect to private/auth failed: No such file or directory

Beans

warning: SASL: Connect to private/auth failed: No such file or directory

I am trying to set up a mail server following this guide:

https://help.ubuntu.com/13.04/serverguide/postfix.html

I have Postfix 2.10 and Dovecot 2.2.3. I got this in the mail.err log file:

Code:
    Jun 22 10:22:25 ubuntu01 postfix/smtpd[9286]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
    and this in the mail.log:

Code:
    Jun 22 10:26:47 ubuntu01 postfix/smtpd[9419]: warning: SASL: Connect to private/auth failed: No such file or directory
    Jun 22 10:26:47 ubuntu01 postfix/smtpd[9419]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
    I checked and I am missing /var/spool/postfix/private/auth socket - it is just not there.

I am attaching some of the configuration files I changed with reverting back the domain specific settings to their general values.

Please, can anyone help me and point me in the right direction. I suspect the documentation refers to an older version of postfix/dovecot with different configuration files.

Thank you!

Configuration files:

conf.zip
    Last edited by anichin; June 22nd, 2013 at 05:55 PM. Reason: formatting

Beans

Re: warning: SASL: Connect to private/auth failed: No such file or directory

Please paste the output for postconf -a and postconf -A . Also, check if dovecot was installed correctly and working well, for that, create a user and try to authenticate using pop or imap.