Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eee 1011CX with 13.04 shows strange red signs, vertical rainbow lines after waking

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Eee 1011CX with 13.04 shows strange red signs, vertical rainbow lines after wakin

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    Hi,
    Something is wrong with your software source files. You or a program you installed probably put something there that apt does not like.
    For now, you should probably run
    Code:
    sudo rm -rfv /etc/apt/sources.d/*
    and then try the other command again.
    +1

After removing /etc/apt-sources.d/ with the above command run update again:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install cedarview-drm libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver cedarview-graphics-drivers
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Re: Eee 1011CX with 13.04 shows strange red signs, vertical rainbow lines after wakin

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    run
    Code:
    and then try the other command again.
    After removing /etc/apt-sources.d/ with the above command run update again:
    Code:

sudo apt-get updatesudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install cedarview-drm libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver cedarview-graphics-drivers
    Okay, here's what I got:

I ran
    Code:

and got no response.

I ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    and got this at the end of a long list of installing files:
    Code:
    N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extensionW: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/aheck/ppa/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/sarvatt/cedarview/ubuntu/dists/raring/main/binary-i386/Packages  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
    Then, I ran
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    and got this after a lot of lines of 'setting up X application':
    Code:
    Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
    N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
    Then I ran the next one, and this is all the code I got back:
    Code:
    aron@SV108-Aron:~$ sudo apt-get install cedarview-drm libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver cedarview-graphics-drivers
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
    E: Unable to locate package cedarview-drm
    E: Unable to locate package libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver
    E: Unable to locate package cedarview-graphics-drivers
    What do you think is going on that these packages are unable to be located?
    Last edited by aronstandley; June 30th, 2013 at 07:51 AM.

Beans

I've been through all this with my atom 2600/cedarview netbook in both 12.04 and 13.04.

None of those above links are relevant to 12.04 anymore, let alone 13.04. For example, from launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/cedarview:

These packages are now in 12.04 in multiverse as of 8/17/2012, please don't use this PPA.
    The cedarview driver packages were integrated properly into linux kernel v.3.7. In ubuntu terms that means 13.04. I'm not surprised the OP is having trouble installing that stuff. It's not relevant for 13.04 so why put it in the repos?

So I don't think the OP's original question is necesssarily related to the ubuntu drivers, but unfortunately I don't have any ideas on that one.

I agree that installing ubuntu with the unity desktop isn't a good idea on a 1Gb netbook. I originally installed in on my i3 based laptop with 4Gb RAM. It was too slow on that so I yanked it, and I run kubuntu on both machines. I've used xubuntu as well but xfce is not much faster than kde, and the lack of features slows me down.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sayer View Post
    I've been through all this with my atom 2600/cedarview netbook in both 12.04 and 13.04.

None of those above links are relevant to 12.04 anymore, let alone 13.04. For example, from launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/cedarview:

The cedarview driver packages were integrated properly into linux kernel v.3.7. In ubuntu terms that means 13.04. I'm not surprised the OP is having trouble installing that stuff. It's not relevant for 13.04 so why put it in the repos?

So I don't think the OP's original question is necesssarily related to the ubuntu drivers, but unfortunately I don't have any ideas on that one.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences with this Rob This helps me understand much more clearly what was going on when I tried those installations.

Please consider this post closed from my end of involvement. I don't want to spend my time trying to find answers to the multitude of software/hardware challenges that came up for me with Ubuntu, so I'm heading to Windows for the time being.

I want to thank everyone who shared their thoughts and advice with this problem of mine - I'm grateful for the support I got!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12