Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eee 1011CX with 13.04 shows strange red signs, vertical rainbow lines after waking

Beans

Unhappy Eee 1011CX with 13.04 shows strange red signs, vertical rainbow lines after waking

I'm running Ubuntu 13.04 (Gnome) on an asus eee 1011cx. Whenever I close the lid without shutting down, then open it again, I get a series of what seems to me to be red characters across the top of the screen, followed a few seconds later by a screen full of vertical multicolored bars. I've not been able to get any other screen that this without restarting the computer.
    What can I do to explore or solve this so that putting the computer to sleep and waking it again function by resuming the apps that were open before sleep?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Eee 1011CX with 13.04 shows strange red signs, vertical rainbow lines after wakin

It looks like you have an Intel graphics card ... In my experience, these drivers have been very stable.
    Maybe you could try the xorg-edgers ppa?
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Eee 1011CX with 13.04 shows strange red signs, vertical rainbow lines after wakin

If I am not mistaken you have Cedartrail PowerVR chip. Though its shipped by Intel, the manufacturer is Imagine Technologies or someone (don't remember it). The driver is poorly supported in Linux. However there are ways and means to get it going but still the graphics performance is just basic.

http://daily.siebler.eu/2012/06/ubuntu-12-04-driver-for-intel-cedarview-atom-n2000-und-d2000-serie/
    http://blog.uninstall.it/2012/06/05/...s-eeepc-1025c/

I have 1015CX eee, and I have installed Fedora18_xfce_32bit and most of the things work out of the box. It seems fedora has some support for GMA3600 through GMA500. However, the experience with HD graphics is poor.

If you seach the WWW with terms 'cedarview', 'PowerVR', and 'GMA3600' you will understand what I am talking about.

Good Luck...
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    The driver is poorly supported in Linux. However there are ways and means to get it going but still the graphics performance is just basic.

http://daily.siebler.eu/2012/06/ubuntu-12-04-driver-for-intel-cedarview-atom-n2000-und-d2000-serie/
    http://blog.uninstall.it/2012/06/05/...s-eeepc-1025c/
    Thanks for telling me about what the components are that contribute to this happening, I'm glad to know a bit more about the hardware end, and how ubuntu is interacting with it.

I'm a bit nervous to try running the commands in these links you shared - I have no idea about how 12.04 solutions would affect the 13.04 OS, or how to approach this problem with anything more than a trial-by-fire approach. Would you tell me if you think I should just plug one set or the other in, as-is, or if you think I should do something else before/during/after?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by searchfgold6789 View Post
    Maybe you could try the xorg-edgers ppa?
    Thanks for the suggestion . I'm not sure what this ppa is about, or what it does, and I didn't see anything about it that I understood from this link you shared. Could you describe how you think it would help this problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aronstandley View Post
    Thanks for telling me about what the components are that contribute to this happening, I'm glad to know a bit more about the hardware end, and how ubuntu is interacting with it.

I'm a bit nervous to try running the commands in these links you shared - I have no idea about how 12.04 solutions would affect the 13.04 OS, or how to approach this problem with anything more than a trial-by-fire approach. Would you tell me if you think I should just plug one set or the other in, as-is, or if you think I should do something else before/during/after?
    Those methods in the links work. But you must install 12.04. I haven't tried 13.04 on my netbook. However, installing Ubuntu on eee with those methods needs maintainence. Why don't you try the OS I am using on my netbook, most of the things work out of the box. The only issue I had was that the tapping on touchpad was not working but we have a small workaround to get it running.

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/xfce/
    To enable 'tapping' on touchpad: https://thangnguyennang.wordpress.com/2012/06/24/howto-enable-tapping-xfce-on-fedora-17/

Beans

Fantab:

Okay, it sounds like to make those solutions work, 12.04 is the way to go.

I have had 13.04 on it now, for about 2 weeks - do you know if is this not compatible with the solutions you shared?

The challenge for me with switching OS's now (ie to fedora or others) is that I have Raring up and (mostly) running now, have experience with gnome and Ubuntu, and have other commitments for my time that I'd rather focus on than learning and setting up a new OS. Even keeping the setup I have now, with the sleep problem, is preferable to me than switching to a new linux distro. For me, it's a big plus that this system works, can connect to the internet, and can start growing a simple audio production environment. Getting the sleep function fixed would be a big bonus.

To me now, it looks like bringing these 12.04 solutions to my 13.04 setup is the option that seems closest to being able to work, but even with this I'm not confident it will work. What comes to mind for you, hearing all this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

NO, I don't know if those solutions are compatible with 13.04. I haven't tried to install Ubuntu on my netbook since. So I can't help you any further.

Do you have 1GB RAM or 2GB? If you have 2GB then gnome-shell/Unity will run alright. But if you have only 1GB then XFCE (Xubuntu) or LXDE (Lubuntu) is the way to go as they are much lighter on system resources than the former DEs.

Anyways, I think the soulution HERE should work for you (though the ppa is for 12.04, try changing 'precice' to 'raring' in the ppa line), and it is simpler as well. If it doesn't work on 13.04 then you must install 12.04.
    Just note that the solution uses 'VI' as the text editor, you just replace 'VI' with 'gedit' or 'nano', if you don't know how to use 'Vi'.
    Here is the ppa at lauchpad: https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/cedarview

Good Luck....
    Last edited by fantab; June 24th, 2013 at 01:50 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    I think the soulution HERE should work for you (though the ppa is for 12.04, try changing 'precice' to 'raring' in the ppa line), and it is simpler as well. If it doesn't work on 13.04 then you must install 12.04.
    Just note that the solution uses 'VI' as the text editor, you just replace 'VI' with 'gedit' or 'nano', if you don't know how to use 'Vi'.
    Here is the ppa at lauchpad: https://launchpad.net/~sarvatt/+archive/cedarview

Good Luck....
    Okay, so I got this far.

Code:
    aron@SV108-Aron:~$ sudo apt-get install cedarview-drm libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver cedarview-graphics-drivers
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
    E: Unable to locate package cedarview-drm
    E: Unable to locate package libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver
    E: Unable to locate package cedarview-graphics-drivers
    Do you think this is a 13.04 issue or is this more with the server the packages are stored on? What do you think about where to go from here?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by aronstandley View Post
    Okay, so I got this far.

Code:
    aron@SV108-Aron:~$ sudo apt-get install cedarview-drm libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver cedarview-graphics-drivers
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    N: Ignoring file 'getdeb.list.bck' in directory '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' as it has an invalid filename extension
    E: Unable to locate package cedarview-drm
    E: Unable to locate package libva-cedarview-vaapi-driver
    E: Unable to locate package cedarview-graphics-drivers
    Do you think this is a 13.04 issue or is this more with the server the packages are stored on? What do you think about where to go from here?
    Hi,
    Something is wrong with your software source files. You or a program you installed probably put something there that apt does not like.
    For now, you should probably run
    Code:
    sudo rm -rfv /etc/apt/sources.d/*
    and then try the other command again.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast