Thread: Customising right-click menus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Customising right-click menus

Hello all. I've been using Ubuntu for 2 or 3 years now, but I'm still a comparative newbie in a lot of ways.

I'd like to be able to edit right-click menus to remove certain options, partly because, in Ubuntu, the mouse - any mouse - is much more sensitive than it ever was in Windows, and some of those options are potentially "dangerous".

In case it's relevant, I'm running 12.04 (64-bit) with the Gnome desktop because I find it much easier to use than Unity.

One item I'd particularly like to get rid of is "Format" when I right click on a mounted partition or external device displayed on the desktop. I choose to show any mounted drives in this way, both as a visual reminder and as a quick way of unmounting when they're no longer needed (I use a number of partitions and a few removable devices).

The mouse often responds as if I'd left-clicked where I had no intention of clicking. I'm aware that after accidentally clicking "format" I'm then prompted to choose a file system, giving me a "second chance" to abort the operation, but there are other ways to format a device if I really want to, so I'd rather not have it as an option in the right-click menu.

There's also a risk that a visitor (I've got a couple in mind here) might accidentally format a device without understanding what happened.

Sorry it's such a long post over a fairly simple matter, but with 1.75TB of HD space, I've got a lot to lose.

One final point. If I need to enter code into the terminal, please try to keep it simple. I'm more comfortable with graphical solutions.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Customising right-click menus

Hello??? Anyone?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The link should point you in the riight direction. http://askubuntu.com/questions/21953...nu-in-nautilus
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Re: removing format option

In 12.04 that option is built-in, don't see you removing thru any available config option.

what you could do is require the admin password to modify a device, currently it;s set to "yes" for any active user
    2 ways -
    edit /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.udisks.policy in the section shown below, the default yes is changed to auth_admin (blue

Code:
    <action id="org.freedesktop.udisks.change">
        <description>Modify a device</description>
        <description xml:lang="da">Modificér en enhed</description>
        <description xml:lang="de">Gerät ändern</description>
        <description xml:lang="pt_BR">Modificar um dispositivo</description>
        <message>Authentication is required to modify the device</message>
        <message xml:lang="da">Autorisering er påkrævet for at ændre en enhed</message>
        <message xml:lang="de">Zugriffsrechte werden benötigt um das Gerät zu ändern</message>
        <message xml:lang="pt_BR">Autenticação é requerida para modificar o dispositivo</message>
        <defaults>
          <allow_any>no</allow_any>
          <allow_inactive>no</allow_inactive>
          <allow_active>auth_admin</allow_active>
        </defaults>
      </action>
    That file can be overwritten by an update (not that likely after release but possible

Or you can create a .pkla override, it will never be overwritten

Code:
    sudo nano /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/udisks.pkla
    copy & paste below code in, then on keyboard,
    ctrl+o
    enter
    ctrl+x

(or use gksudo gedit if desired instead of sudo nano, ignore that dumb "Untitled Document 1"

Code:
    [Modify a device]
    Identity=unix-user:*
    Action=org.freedesktop.udisks.change
    ResultActive=auth_admin
    Last edited by mc4man; June 27th, 2013 at 07:42 AM. Reason: adjusted title

Beans
    Distro

Thank you both. I've got a lot to learn where the terminal is concerned, but I'll work my way through that lot and see what happens. Not a lot of time today though, unfortunately.