Thread: Freeze up.

Beans

Freeze up.

My computer is comparable with the best System76 desktop; one step down from best graphics. My problem is that my screen/computer freezes up, goes gray and then recovers. I did not expect this given what is in this computer. I ran a test, backblock and found no errors. Graphics (GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2). Memory (62.8 GiB). Processor (Intel® Core™ i7-3960X CPU @ 3.30GHz × 8). Disk (876.9 GB). OS (32 bit). Using NVIDIA binary Xorg driver, kernal module and VDPAU library-310 (proprietary, tested). I've thought that the problem was with Thunderbird but the freeze up happens other times too. I have one other option for a graphic driver, 313. I've thought about over clocking my processor. I will probably move up to 64 bit OS with 13.10.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem with a similar system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Freeze up.

Unfortunately, I couldn't say for sure; despite having similar hardware, there are many smaller differences that can have a huge impact on the overall stability of the computer. BIOS, GPU manufacturer, etc. can all affect it.

I would check on the general Ubuntu Support section, here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=326
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Re: Freeze up.

Problem solved, 32 bit does not do well on a 64 bit computer. 64 bit solves the problem.