Thread: DELL vostro Audio configuration

Beans

DELL vostro Audio configuration

I own a Dell vostro 3560 laptop running Ubuntu 12.10. My laptop comes with two audio ports, audio-in and audio-out. I have a headphone with mic, a 3 ridge 3.5mm pin. Ubuntu doesn't detect the microphone on the headphones when I plug into the audio out port. Is it possible to fuse the audio in and audio out to a single port so that I could use the headphone for mic and speaker.

- Charles

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: DELL vostro Audio configuration

A proper headphone has two connectors, one for the microphone and one for stereo sound.

When you say "three ridge," do you mean three ridges plus a big ground, or mono sound plus microphone?

Beans

No I meant the ridges on the 3.5mm connector. Wikis in the internet suggest that only when you have a three ridge connector you could use audio-in and audio-out on the same headphone.

Moreover my headphone doesn't have two connectors to be plugged into the two ports.

-charles

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your laptop is not compatible with your headset, and it's a hardware issue. No OS can fix it.

Beans

Please inform how could i check the compatibility, If I have to purchase another headset

-charles