Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Installed Ubuntu onto a brand new 1tb hard drive and I get a dark blue screen

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Installed Ubuntu onto a brand new 1tb hard drive and I get a dark blue screen

All the lines that scroll by if you do not have quiet splash in boot are in a log file dmesg.

I have a Log File Viewer but do not remember if I installed it or was was part of install?

But they all are text files in /var/log. There are a lot of log files.

If you use manual install or something else you can install without swap. Best only if you have a lot of RAM or over 4GB. You can also change swapiness.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SwapFaq
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Re: Installed Ubuntu onto a brand new 1tb hard drive and I get a dark blue screen

I installed Ubuntu 12.04 this time, it asked me to reboot, and now allot says is...

"error: unknown filesystem
    grub rescue>"

Beans

I got the Boot-Repair-ISO, wrote the image to a flash drive, ran it, and it fix my Grub menu.

Ubuntu 12.04 is also working, except I can't see any icons in the bar that is on the left(dash?) but it displays options if I move my mouse up and down in the area.

Also, I updated Grub and at the Grub menu, there is "Windows 7(loader) (on /dev/sda1)" but it will not load Windows 7.

What happened to my other OS in this menu(Windows 98 on my 1.55gb hd, Windows XP on my 90gb hd, and Windows 7)?

In Ubuntu, I can see the hard drives, and they were all working before. Also, my 1tb hard drive is partitioned in two halfs, one for Ubuntu and one for Windows 7.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you can see the other drives, run this for grub2's os-prober to find the installs.

sudo update-grub

If that does not add the other installs post the link to a new BootInfo report from Boot-Repair.

I do not know Unity, but think it has settings to auto-hide?
    I prefer the old gnome2 style (gnome-panel or fallback) as I have a 4:3 monitor and have more space at top and bottom of screen for panels. Plus oldfred is getting to the point where change is more difficult.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

http://paste.ubuntu.com/5794912/

It shows the other OS on the other drives, and the Windows 7 on the other partition. It doesn't show ip in Grub. I think it's Grub2 that I have, I downloaded the Boot-Repair-Disk from Ubuntu's website.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What is this?
    /dev/mapper/nvidia_bagbhdhc

It looks like part of an old BIOS RAID install? And the error then stops grub from scanning drives.

Your Windows in sda1 does not have the separate 100MB boot/repair boot partition that is common with Windows 7, but your have the missing Windows boot files in the FAT32 partition sdc1.
    It looks like when you installed Windows to sda, you had BIOS set to boot from sdc, so Windows put its boot files into sdc1.

Windows Boot files:
    WinXP
    /boot.ini /ntldr /NTDETECT.COM
    Vista/7 (with 7 the first two files are usually in a separate 100MB boot partition)
    /bootmgr /Boot/BCD /Windows/System32/winload.exe

I would move the Windows boot files into the Windows install in sda1, add a Windows boot loader into the MBR of sda and see if from BIOS you can directly boot Windows. Then change BIOS back to boot sdb or reinstall grub to sda to let you dual boot.

Beans

The hard drive that Ubuntu and Windows 7 were installed on, was a brand new 1tb hard drive.

My hard drives and the OS on them...

1tb hard drive(New) - Ubuntu 12.04 + Windows 7

90gb hard drive(Original hard drive) - Windows XP

1.55gb hard drive(just recently took out of an old PC) - Windows 98

I guess I could try to unhook the two other hard drives and then update Grub. I'll admit, I know little about this, and I don't know much about RAID. From what I understand, RAID is set up in the BIOS(but where at?).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You do not have matching drives which you would with RAID. Generally BIOS is set to AHCI, or LBA which is large block allocation. The IDE setting is for compatibility with very old systems. IDE was used back when drives were less than 8GB and we had to manually add CHS values. Your old drive and BIOS are not that old are they? Then I would not think new 1TB drive would be boot. Also AHCI may not work with XP. I changed BIOS from LBA to AHCI so my new SSD would work with trim, but XP would not boot. I had to change back in BIOS to boot XP and that was too much hassle and I really wanted SSD to be correct so I stopped booting XP - a good thing.

It may be old system had RAID so you can delete settings from your 74GB drive. Make sure it still is mounted as sdb.
    Presence1960 on remove old raid setting from HD
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1325650
    sudo dmraid -E -r /dev/sdb
    Also check BIOS for raid settings

Beans

At one point, all of the OS worked and were displayed in GRUB. But since getting rid of 13.04 and installing 12.04, I had to reinstall Grub, and that is causing it not to display all of the OS.

The OS all work, and were displayed in GRUB before I reinstalled Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    Your old drive and BIOS are not that old are they?
    The drive that is 1.55gb with Windows 98, is from a NEC from the mid-1990's.

The PC that it's in, was built in like 2004-2005. The 74gb hard drive(with XP) is what was originally inside of it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast