Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Installed Ubuntu onto a brand new 1tb hard drive and I get a dark blue screen

Beans

Thumbs up Installed Ubuntu onto a brand new 1tb hard drive and I get a dark blue screen

-AMD Athlon 64 bit with NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 and a brand new 1tb hard drive
    -Not dual booting
    -Same PC runs Windows XP on a different hard drive
    -Only had in the 1tb hard drive while installing

I installed Ubuntu from a DVD(the md5 matched), then took out the DVD and restarted my PC after the install(as instructed). *Once Ubuntu booted, I was able to login on the login screen, but afterwards, it gave me a pure dark blue screen that had a movable cursor, and the cursor changed at certain parts of the screen.

I pressed ALT-CNTRL-DEL and the screen change to a pure white screen.

Can anyone help me get Ubuntu working?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.
    Last edited by SBTlauien; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Solved

Beans

Re: Installed Ubuntu onto a brand new 1tb hard drive and I get a dark blue screen

Probably a video driver issue.

Beans

Re: Installed Ubuntu onto a brand new 1tb hard drive and I get a dark blue screen

Do you know how I can fix that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

What did the log in screen look like? Your reference to a dark blue screen after log in is a puzzle to me. Are you sure you installed Ubuntu and not Ubuntu Gnome? Ubuntu has a default purple and orange swirl for a background image for the log in screen and that continues onto the desktop until we set a background image of our choice in System Settings>Appearance.

Do you get a Grub boot menu? If not try holding down the Shift key as the machine loads. At the Grub boot menu select Advanced Options for Ubuntu ( I am assuming that you are using 12.10 or 13.04 - you do not tell us - not my fault if the instructions are wrong) and select Recovery Mode. At the Recovery Mode screen select Resume. That will sometimes get us to a desktop that works.

From there you need to load System Settings and open Software & Updates and go to the Additional Drivers tab and experiment with different video drivers. Give the utility a few seconds to gather it list together.

I think that you have installed Ubuntu Gnome and I cannot direct you on how to change video drivers on Ubuntu Gnome as I have not tried that for about six months.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thank you so much.

So, is holding down the shift key to get this Grub menu basically the same as pressing F8/F10 in Windows to get the menu with safe mode?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you have Windows on another drive and after you get system working. Run this.
    sudo update-grub

Then you will always get grub menu as you will have the option to boot Ubuntu or Windows.

I have an older nVidia card and have to use nomodeset on first boot after an install. But you have to get to grub menu, press e to edit boot stanza, scroll down to linux line and replace quiet splash with nomodeset.

Screens shown here:
    How to set NOMODESET and other kernel boot options in grub2
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
    BIOS live installer Boot Options
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans

I'm running 13.04, not sure if I'm running Gnome, but I'm quit sure it was the full install 64 bit download.

The 'Additional Drivers' tab in 'Software & Updates', is empty. I am connect to the internet.

It only seems to boot through the Grub menu, and it seems slow.

It shows 'VESA: NV35 Board - p172-1n' as my graphics driver, but I'm assuming it's not loading when I boot this way, and it's what's causing this issue. But I'm not sure.

Beans

Alright, did just as you said, and I get the nice boot menu(I also have a 1.55gb hard drive with Windows 98 lol), changed it to 'NOMODESET', and it boots, but it still seems really slow.

I also got an error message.

Beans

Actually, it still gives me a pure blank screen but I'm able to move my cursor. This time it was white until I pressed CNTRL-ALT-DEL, then it turned black. The cursor can be moved around though.

It did load when I choose those suggested options, but just slow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

moved to absolute beginners section
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast