Thread: Unable to open .url internet links

Beans

Unable to open .url internet links

Hello all,
    When I try and open .url files from my saved internet links from my windows folders, within Linux, I can not and Linux ask if I want to search for an application which will work. Is there an application, or package that I need to install?
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Unable to open .url internet links

You can open these files in Gedit (the text editor) and copy the URL included in them. You can then visit that URL and bookmark it in the web browser.

Alternatively, you can open the Main Menu program and create a new menu item. Set the command to "gnome-open " and then the URL, for instance:

Code:
    gnome-open http://www.google.com
    The link to the website will now appear in the Dash, and you can drag it to the Launcher.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Code:
    Alternatively, you can open the Main Menu program and create a new menu item. Set the command to "gnome-open "
    Sorry, you lost me here. when you say the main menu, are you talking about the Home area? Or the sidebar with Recent, Home, Desktop, etc...
    Thanks for the help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm talking about the program called Main Menu. You can get to it by clicking the Ubuntu logo near the top left of the screen and typing the word "main" and it's the first result that appears.

Beans

When I type "main" Thunderbird Mail opens, and Character Map opens?
    Thanks