Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Does Ubuntu have malicious NSA code?

Beans

Re: Does Ubuntu have malicious NSA code?

If NSA wants access to ubuntu servers and information they can ofcourse get it. And as ubuntu collects all your searches and everything they don't need a backdoor, this whole system is a spyware already.. And they don't even try to hide it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by b1195648 View Post
    If NSA wants access to ubuntu servers and information they can ofcourse get it. And as ubuntu collects all your searches and everything they don't need a backdoor, this whole system is a spyware already.. And they don't even try to hide it.
    Spies seldom announce their presence and certainly don't give you the option to turn them off with the click of a mouse. If you want to say that Ubuntu is supported-by-advertising software, your argument might have some merit and I could go with that. If you say you don't like it because of that, then that is your perfectly acceptable choice.

In the case of Ubuntu, the "supported-by-advertising" version is the full version, and all you have to do is turn the advertising off. You don't have to pay for the full version if you do.

Do I like the feature? No. Do I wish it were opt-in instead of opt-out? Yes. Do I use Unity? No, so I don't have any problem to begin with.

Does Amazon get any personal information about you from this feature? No. Is it spyware? No, but people give equal credit to both the reasonable things RMS has to say and the irrational, fanatical things he has to say. Personally, I don't let my feathers get too ruffled by self-proclaimed profits wearing hair-shirts, eating locusts and fanatically shrilling dire prophecies from the wilderness.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Ubuntu gets all my personal searches. That is spyware. The searches are sent away from my computer to their servers. And I can not turn it off. I can only turn off that they should send it third party like amazon.
    Last edited by b1195648; October 31st, 2013 at 12:06 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If the method by which you disable lenses and scopes breaks their internet connectivity, what's being sent where?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by b1195648 View Post
    Ubuntu gets all my personal searches. That is spyware. The searches are sent away from my computer to their servers. And I can not turn it off. I can only turn off that they should send it third party like amazon.
    Could you show us a wireshark snippet of this, of course remove any personal information first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Well obviously debian gnu based distros are basically developed by the NSA.. do they have malicious code in your Linux distro.. most likely yes, but it-s called a bug as in SSH SSL encryption bugs.. that have been along for some years till they recently have been discovered.. and I wanna quote Julian Assange here.. it-s the thousands of packages with their dependencies where only one of those dependencies needs to be compromised in order to gain complete control over your linux box..
    you cannot trust the digital world at all. No matter if it is open source no matter which distro you are using..
    So to make this clear.. You don-t need to uninstall your ubuntu and get something else on there, because it will most likely be the same problem.. but I do believe that certain encryption works like your average full disk encryption or the tor network, which pisses the NSA off.. but it is the surroundings that can create a problem there.. what does your full disc encryption if your computer was compromised by one dependency.. well.. you know where I-m getting at.. quoting Bruce Schneider *We need the ability to test whether a program does what it is supposed to or does it do something else..* there is a pretty cool discourse on that
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXtS6UcdOMs

But if you really really don-t want to be spied on.. well get rid of your computer and get rid of your mobile phone and cancel your internet and phone contracts and you will be free...

Of course there is tails and similar distros (cant really remember its name but there is a gentoo based similar distro). well that would get rid of the passive surveillance.. but you will be flagged and as a result you could be targeted, once you are targeted there is absolutely nothing that will save your ass, unless as i mentioned above, you get rid of your hard and software and cancel your contracts with your ISP and phone provider..

EDIT> I almost forgot.. you shall not forget about the hardware! do you think your intel cpu is trust worthy? or do you think your sim card in your phone is trust worthy? uhm.. well if you think that there won-t be anything malicious going on.. then you are terribly wrong..
    Last edited by pull0betty; October 24th, 2014 at 10:38 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This thread is nearly a year old. Closed.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456