Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Ubuntu have malicious NSA code?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Does Ubuntu have malicious NSA code?

Quote Originally Posted by Soul-Sing View Post
    No ubuntu user will "check" the kernel code. Sorry. It is all about trust. Really.
    Maybe not, but the hundreds of self-righteous and dedicated kernel developers no doubt will. It may be about trust for Ubuntu users, but they only have to trust the kernel developers, who do not have to trust anyone.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

One other thing to keep in mind, is that Linus personally checks all commits that go into the kernel. As you may have seen, he can be quite crusty about some of the patches/new code submitted for inclusion in the kernel.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Oh, I think there are words other than "crusty" that could apply to Linus!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Oh, I think there are words other than "crusty" that could apply to Linus!
    I was being polite.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Soul-Sing View Post
    Big "things", like google, facebook, etc etc, are easily blocked by, via etc/hosts, or a few lines in IPTABLES.
    I cobbled together a script some time ago that downloads lists of tracking servers and creates an /etc/hosts file that blocks a whole lot of stuff. Usually, this is faster than a browser plugin and, because it's a hosts file, works outside the browser, too -- in your email client, for instance.

See it on the Kubuntu forum -- http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?56419
    Using Kubuntu? Come join us at kubuntuforums.net

Soul-Sing is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by steveriley View Post
    I cobbled together a script some time ago that downloads lists of tracking servers and creates an /etc/hosts file that blocks a whole lot of stuff. Usually, this is faster than a browser plugin and, because it's a hosts file, works outside the browser, too -- in your email client, for instance.

See it on the Kubuntu forum -- http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?56419
    thx a bunch!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    The only thing I see as a means of backdoors and sharing would be bad coding, allowing exploits of said sharing features.
    Have you ever read Ken Thompson's Turing lecture to the ACM ( http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/ken/trust.html )? It's quite illuminating as to the possibilities -- and the openness of the early Unix code offered to protection at all against Ken's backdoor (although one might have found it in the compiler itself)...

EDIT: Actually, in those long-gone days when it was still legal to do so, I actually disassembled the entire code for MS-DOS 4.0, in preparation for a book that I was writing at the time. I didn't find any backdoors, but I wasn't looking for them either. I did find a number of places where the actual operating code failed to implement the actions described in the official manuals for the system, however. One example is that "binary" output, if sent to a printer or display, still translated tab and newline characters, making it impossible to use the normal system functions to print or display bitmaps since every 0x09 byte would be replaced by a variable number of 0x20 bytes!
    Last edited by JKyleOKC; June 24th, 2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Toi add anecdote...
    --
    Jim Kyle in Oklahoma, USA
    Linux Counter #259718
    Howto mark thread: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans

NSA Android coding; still wondering about NSA in Ubuntu?

http://refreshingnews99.blogspot.in/...r-googles.html

Beans

It is not "malicious code"---it protects us from terrorists!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Not directly to the NSA no - however, Canonical does collect data about your search terms and those gets sent to third party advertizers, which may be snooped on by 5 different three letter agencies and 10 criminal syndicates. Instead of worrying about the NSA, I am more concerned about the latter.

So, if you are running vanilla Ubuntu with Unity, consider changing to Xubuntu or Kubuntu, since default Ubuntu is basically spyware in the Google Analytics and Microsoft Alexa tradition.
    Just for those newbies who don't know, Unity's online search capability can be disabled by switching button to off in the system settings --> Privacy utility.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast