Thread: Tried the lot - found the best at last

Beans

Thumbs up Tried the lot - found the best at last

Hello from an absolute "newbie". Over the last two years (on a 1Ghz, 512Mb RAM clunker) I have tried "Linux" in many flavours. With Ubuntu and some other "name" variants reducing swappiness to 1 has given at least a stable OS. I did find that Ubuntu 10.04.4 (installed with Wubi" and tweaked a little did run quite well. An upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 simply failed. Linux variants from "the little doggie", the "sauce for roast lamb", Debian, just did not quite do the job. I am not naming or aiming any critical comments at other Linux systems. Each, in their own way is a good OS. After two years trying/testing I found Ubuntu 10.04.4 worked best on the old "clunker" and Wubi is there, just use ZIP or Izarc to extract it - restart the PC - and install. This may help some "newbies" like me who started with Dartmouth Basic, CP/M, DOS in all it's versions and Windows 2 (yes, there was a Windows 2), Win 3, 95, 98SE11, XP, and now a brand new lightning fast AMD system with more processing power and RAM than I know what to do with just yet (running Win 7). But, for all that, if anyone has an "old clunker" with limited CPU power and not much RAM, I found Ubuntu 10.04.4 better than Xubuntu after tweaking the swappiness and disabling quite a few of the start up apps. Anyway, enough from me. If my comment helps a new Ubuntu user with and old PC, great. Otherwise, just read and go to the next posted comment.

Cheers all,

Olde Gorilla. (yep, 65 and still vitally interested in anything "techie").

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Tried the lot - found the best at last

Keep in mind that 10.04.4 desktop is End of Life, and as such will no longer be receiving updates.

You could try running Lubuntu 12.04 on that machine and see if it works for you.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Not a support request, moved to Ubuntu, Linux & OS Chat.

+1 for Lubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Keep in mind that 10.04.4 desktop is End of Life, and as such will no longer be receiving updates.

You could try running Lubuntu 12.04 on that machine and see if it works for you.
    Agree 100%. I had ubuntu with unity & compiz on an i3 based laptop with 4Gb RAM and yanked it because I found it too slow.

BTW, running kubuntu on the 1Gb netbook I'm typing this on, I also tried tweaking the swappiness. From 10 to 40. Then I changed it back to the default 60. Guess what? It runs faster. The ubuntu developers know more than most of those geek bloggers.

I also go back to CP/M and Dos 2. And also unix in the 80s, though I've only had ubuntu installed at home for about a year now.

Beans

wow all these different ubuntu programs, yesterday i took the plunge and wipe windows off an old machine and put ubuntu on it, now i have to buy some books to figure out how to work with it, it truly is different OS then windows, i learned 1 thing though u can't do anything without internet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2ubunt2 View Post
    wow all these different ubuntu programs, yesterday i took the plunge and wipe windows off an old machine and put ubuntu on it, now i have to buy some books to figure out how to work with it, it truly is different OS then windows, i learned 1 thing though u can't do anything without internet.
    If you want to buy a bunch of books, then go ahead.
    But there are free alternatives to learning about Ubuntu and linux all over the web.
    You could start by looking here, throughout the forums.

You could also have fun looking through newdocs.
    or psychocats
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2ubunt2 View Post
    That's mostly true, Linux was designed from the ground up to be a networking, multi-user OS.

I agree with deadflowr, dead tree books are quickly going to become outdated. Ubuntu has a wealth of online documentation:

https://help.ubuntu.com/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community

Beans
    Distro

I remember the days of buying books at $50 to $70 bucks to learn Windows. Then I soon gave up because of the constant changes in OS'es and abilities. So then I started hunting down more and more PDF docs to read. Like here with Ubuntu typically if you do a bit of searching you can find the answer to your problem.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man
    Running 4 computers all with Ubuntu Linux 12.04 LTS