Thread: Severe problem help pls

Beans

Exclamation Severe problem help pls

ok, i messed up big time. I am a beginner and I have no idea how Linux works. So I have drives A and B, with A partitioned into 1 and 2, and installed Ubuntu into 1. so I decided to format drive B (which had my windows 7) and let 2 be alone (holding Vista). After formatting B, I booted Ubuntu from my cd ( I installed with it) and wiped out 1 (the one holding Ubuntu). I used Gpart. and then, I installed Ubuntu into B(used to be windows 7). After the installation, I cant boot anything at all. I get the black white screen with grub saying "partition not found" and then a command expecting "grub rescue> " I need help seriously, I cant even access my vista now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Severe problem help pls

I'm having a hard time following everything and don't feel like making a chart.
    Please do this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info and post the results so that someone might be able to help.
    If you are impatient, you might attempt a fix with https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There are no such things as 'A' and 'B' drives. It might help if you booted up with the Ubuntu-cd, start up GParted and make pictures. But the above advice about running the boot-info script comes first

I certainly do not hope so, but if I understand you correctly you just effectively wiped your disk. And i suppose you don't have backups?
    I'm thinking about it

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Most likely your bios is set to boot from the drive you call A, but by deleting Ubuntu from that drive you broke grub. You installed Ubuntu on drive B, so that should have a valid bootloader now. Get into the bios of your computer and try booting your computer from drive B. If everything went OK during install, you should get a grub menu allowing you to choose between your new Ubuntu installation and Win Vista.