Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I find missing dependencies for cinepaint 1.0-4 Ubuntu 13.04

Beans

How do I find missing dependencies for cinepaint 1.0-4 Ubuntu 13.04

I am a photojournalist/digital photo artist and I am getting into video editing projects I have used GIMP for my photo editing for years...
    I've been doing some research on other alternatives which may have better quality results and I found Cinepaint. I found that there is a lack of .deb packages for installation into Ubuntu, so I tried 2 things.
    1) downloaded from SourceForge the .rpm package and converted it to .deb with alien. It seemed to work/open properly, but I can not get it to open .jpeg, .jpg, .JPEG, .JPG, ot .TIFF files... so I wasn't able to make use/test the program...
    2) downloaded the .tar.gz from SourceForge and went to compile it... I first installed the list of dependencies provided in the install file, then I ran:
    Code:
    sudo ./configure
    It seemed to run fine until the end and I got an error output:
    Code:
    =================================================================                                 Configuration Results
    GTK CinePaint Version 1.0-4
    General dependencies:
    Gtk2 toolkit                             yes    
    2.24.17DnD support                  no
    littleCMS                                 no     !! CinePaint will not build without !!
    Oyranos                                  no

Plug-ins with external dependencies:
    Python plug-in:                         no
    OpenEXR plug-in:                      yes    
    OpenEXR Tiff plug-in:                 yes
    PNG plug-in:                             yes    
    libpng 1.2.49Jpeg plug-in:           yes
    Print plug-in:                            no
    FLTK dependent plug-ins:            no     !! CinePaint will not build without !!
    Thread dependent plug-ins:         no     !! ICC Examin will not build !!
    Flex dependent plug-ins:             yes =================================================================
    configure: error: !!! An ERROR occured !!!Please check the above messages to see why.For bug reports please include the complete above output.

I'm very interested in trying this program, but because the error list doesn't give specific package names, I'm not sure how to locate/install the missing dependencies.

So I was wondering if anyone knows where to find the missing dependencies or can advise me as to how to locate them myself
    or
    Has any suggestions about how to get the .rpm --> .deb conversion to work properly
    I usually research Ubuntu forums/askUbuntu/Google to see if there is relevant content to my problem before I post a question, however I was unable to find any content relative to Ubuntu past 8.04/.10.
    I will be grateful for any suggestions or links to documentation relevant to new versions of Ubuntu or even a way to find/install a .deb package of filmgimp or glasgow or similar programs that will work on Ubuntu...
    Thanks for your time

Beans

Re: How do I find missing dependencies for cinepaint 1.0-4 Ubuntu 13.04

Note_ the below is to show how to configure & get cinepaint to build it (cinepaint), though it appears to Not be that useful/usable in Debian/Ubuntu. So really just for info purposes. Whether it works well in a supported distro no clue, you'd have to try

So -

Your best tool is to use synaptic & search a truncated name of missing, usually looking a -dev package.

Searching cms will return results for both liblcms1-dev & liblcms2-dev, which one is needed you'd have to see.
    fltk will likewise return 2 possible, libfltk1.1-dev & libfltk1.3-dev (I'd say the earlier are good for both

What you want to do is keep running the ./configure until it fills in fully, just because it meets the min to build doesn't mean you'll get all you may want. Read back thru the full configure each time.

So with a little ./configure > search in synaptic, install a -dev, ect. get this -
    Code:
    =================================================================
                  Configuration Results

GTK CinePaint Version 1.0-4

General dependencies:
       Gtk2 toolkit                 yes    2.24.17
       DnD support                  yes    X11/Xmu
       littleCMS                    yes    lcms 1.19
       Oyranos                      no

Plug-ins with external dependencies:
       Python plug-in:              no
       OpenEXR plug-in:             yes    OpenEXR 1.6.1
       Tiff plug-in:                yes
       PNG plug-in:                 yes    libpng 1.2.49
       Jpeg plug-in:                yes
       Print plug-in:               yes    Gutenprint 5.2.9
       FLTK dependent plug-ins:     yes    bracketing_to_hdr collect pdf
       Thread dependent plug-ins:   yes    icc_examine
       Flex dependent plug-ins:     yes    iol
    =================================================================
    In addition to the 2 mentioned packages above (liblcms1-dev libfltk1.1-dev
    libopenexr-dev
    libgutenprintui2-dev
    libgutenprint-dev
    libxmu-dev
    flex libfl-dev

The deps above in red will enable the red configure option, you don't want them as it likely will cause a build error that I've no reason to look in to...

The other issue that some of the individual makefiles (makefile.am in various folders) have their linking in the wrong order so your build will fail. The proper way would be to identify which ones & patch. In this case no reason to as the app will likely not be worth using or using very often. A muck around all the linking issues will be to use an LDFLAGS= in the configure.

So if you wanted to try install the above mentioned packages, make sure the red ones are not installed.
    Then configure with -
    Code:
    make distclean
    Code:
    ./configure LDFLAGS="-lX11 -lstdc++ -lm"
    screen 3 shows 1 ex. of a makefile that was ordered wrong, -lX11 -lstdc++ -lm are at the beginning (& still are, hence "muck around"), the LD flag added them to the end where they belong

If it succeeds then a make & sudo make install followed by a sudo ldconfig

The reason files don't open is None of the folder paths are filled in, see screen 2 for filled in here. The palette & gradients paths, if enabled will segfault cinepaint, so don't

Edit: read here for some alt.
    http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp...aint.user/1364
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; June 22nd, 2013 at 04:28 AM.

Beans

Thank you for your reply...

I followed your instructions and installed the missing dependencies via synaptic package manager..

It seemed to go okay, and when I ran

Code:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    It ran for much longer than it had previously and did not output any recursive errors...

However when I tried to run Cinepaint, I got this output:

Code:
    cinepaint: error while loading shared libraries: libcinepaint.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    I'm getting pretty discouraged, but I still would like to try Cinepaint... I've never successfully built an application in this way, is there a simple way to uninstall, since the program did not come out of any of my existing repositories?

Would you recommend a distro that will install .rpms?
    I'm pretty sure thats Fedora... do you know perhaps a lighter desktop than Fedora? I've tried it before, but my system runs pretty slow with standard Gnome 3.6 and above...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Perhaps setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH might help, since you said installation was successful.

Find the directory where libcinepaint.so.1 is installed: ' locate libcinepaint.so.1 '
    Then set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to that directory: ' export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=path-to-dir '
    Then start the application.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Derelinquat fenestras View Post
    Thank you for your reply...

I followed your instructions and installed the missing dependencies via synaptic package manager..

It seemed to go okay, and when I ran

Code:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    It ran for much longer than it had previously and did not output any recursive errors...

However when I tried to run Cinepaint, I got this output:

Code:
    cinepaint: error while loading shared libraries: libcinepaint.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    You really didn't quite follow what I posted -
    If it succeeds then a make & sudo make install followed by a sudo ldconfig
    That's why you get the "error while loading shared libraries"

So just run that command or if you happened to install anything since posting thru apt-get ,synaptic or software center it likely would have run an ldconfig for you.

Beans

Would you recommend a distro that will install .rpms? I'm pretty sure thats Fedora... do you know perhaps a lighter desktop than Fedora?
    If what mc4man suggested doesn't work, try alien (installs rpm's in debian distros) before trying a whole other distro.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    try alien (installs rpm's in debian distros) before trying a whole other distro.
    I think he did before & it's quite possible the converted rpm works as well as a built version (which isn't all that well

Like a self built the problem with the converted rpm would be that the local config file has no paths entered.

Beans

/usr/bin$ ./cinepaint
    ./cinepaint: error while loading shared libraries: libcinepaint.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

$ sudo make distclean
    [sudo] password for wewe:
    make: *** 没有规则可以创建目标“distclean”。 停止。
    Last edited by wewecat; June 25th, 2013 at 01:56 PM.

Beans

Thank you, mc4man, for all of your help... Seems like its almost there.

I ran sudo ldconfig and it opened with no problem, but none of the folder paths were filled in, as you said...

I filled in the paths, but I think I made a mistake, because now when I try to start it, I get the splash screen for Cinepaint, then it crashes. ..

Do you know if there is a way that I can edit the preferences via text editor or some other way, or will I need to uninstall/start over?

Please forgive my ignorance, but how would I go about uninstalling it? I've never successfully installed a program by building it, so not sure how to remove it...

would

sudo apt-get remove cinepaint

do the job, or is there a different method?

Beans

Thank you, mc4man, for all of your help... Seems like its almost there.

I ran sudo ldconfig and it opened with no problem, but none of the folder paths were filled in, as you said...

I filled in the paths, but I think I made a mistake, because now when I try to start it, I get the splash screen for Cinepaint, then it crashes. ..

Do you know if there is a way that I can edit the preferences via text editor or some other way, or will I need to uninstall/start over?

Please forgive my ignorance, but how would I go about uninstalling it? I've never successfully installed a program by building it, so not sure how to remove it...

would

sudo apt-get remove cinepaint

do the job, or is there a different method?

From my other post -
    The palette & gradients paths, if enabled will segfault cinepaint, so don't
    You can open your home folder > view > show hidden files (or ctrl+h) & you should see a folder .cinepaint
    Inside is a file cinepaintrc, if you open in a text editor you can remove the bad entries, should have only be filled in as shown in previous screenshot. (screen #2 - in cinepaint's preferences
    Or just remove cinepaintrc & try again with paths

To uninstall just cd to cinepaint source & run
    Code:
    sudo make uninstall
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; June 25th, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast