Thread: 12.04 x64 Virtual Root Server not booting

Beans

Question 12.04 x64 Virtual Root Server not booting

Hey!
    I am a bit frustrated with my Ubuntu 12.04 server installtion because everytime I want to reboot my virtual root server it does not do so. It turns off but never comes back.

The only solution to this problem for me is to restore a backup of the server which makes it work again. This is very inconvenient because I am not able to install updates that require a system reboot. Nevertheless a reboot is also not possible when I did not install or change anything after restoring the backup.

I have tried to find a solution to this by googling a lot but I did not find anything. Since I don't want to influence your answers I don't write what I did already (which is not much since I have no clue what to do...). So I would be very grateful if some experienced users could tell me what they would do in such a case!

Notice: I still have access to the server's file system by using a rescue system, which seems to be ubuntu, too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 12.04 x64 Virtual Root Server not booting

Is there some reason you need to run Server rather than Desktop? Desktop can do everything Server can do, although it needs more memory and CPU.

I don't understand the phrase "virtual root server," and I suspect most people do not understand it.

It can't hurt to describe the computer you are running Ubuntu on: CPU, memory, video card, hard drive partitions.

Perhaps you could be more descriptive than "it never comes back"? "I did A and B and expected C, but this other thing happened instead."

Beans

Thanks for your reply, here is a bit more explanation:

"Virtual root" means for me a virtualized server hosted by a provider in a datacenter, which means there is a physical machine that hosts several virtualized servers, that are let to customers. There are different types of virtualization technologies. In my case it is a KVM (kernel-based virtual machine), which means (simplified) that I can use my own kernel for the operating system, fully independet of the operating system the physical machine uses. The virtual server has 1 GB RAM, 1 core of an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T7700 @ 2.40GHz, 60 GB hard disk space.

Since the virtual server does not have a screen, there is no need for a graphical environment. Furthermore the performance of the virtualized server is much lower than the performance of a real server. That's why I use the server version of Ubuntu. You could now say that Ubuntu is the wrong operating system for this kind of application and there are more suitable operating systems, but I like the way Ubuntu works and using a different operating system is not an option at the moment.

What i did was quite simple. I did apt-get upgrade and then reboot. I expected the server would reboot but it was impossible to open a ssh connection.

In the meantime I had to use a backup to make the server boot again and provide it's services. After using the backup I tried to do an apt-get upgrade again and after upgrading the restart of the system worked fine. So I assume the problem that the server is unable to reboot after a longer period of time (like one month) without a reboot is maybe caused by some user action that is require during the reboot, which I cannot see since the ssh server is not running at this stage.

So maybe you can give me some advice how to make sure that a reboot of the system is done without any user action required during boot time. Do you know which programms could cause this? Is it possible to create a more detailed boot log to find the reason for the problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm sorry, I don't know enough to offer any advice on this. Perhaps the technical support at your service provider can help.