Thread: skype linux support

Beans

skype linux support

Hi all,

Skype now supports video messaging:

http://blogs.skype.com/2013/06/17/sk...ever-wherever/

except see there is no inclusion for GNU linux? I confirmed each of the other OS links had this upgrade, but that GNU Linux did not. Searching skype, ubuntuforums, and google showed no other notice of this. Like it or not, back door or not, Microsoft or Microsoft, the reality is this is a lingua franca of VOIP that millions use just like pencils, phones, and faxes. Does anyone more knowledgeable or influential know of some way to better ensure Skype support for GNU Linux is not selectively degraded? Would a FOSS leadership sponsored enhancement request or some anti-competition action as with Internet Explorer be reasonable? I do not think one individual outsider without inside knowledge can do much so I am asking. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: skype linux support

Well to be fair we have been getting better support for Skype since MS took it over than we were getting before.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

it oculd be that they will add it at a later time. or not.

and skype is not lingua franca. for example our company chose another MS product instead of Skype (Lync). not sure why but that's hgwo they decided... and we have branches all over the world.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Try for some more times.It can work with your linux support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    it oculd be that they will add it at a later time. or not.

and skype is not lingua franca. for example our company chose another MS product instead of Skype (Lync). not sure why but that's hgwo they decided... and we have branches all over the world.
    Lync is effectively the business-oriented equivalent (of Live Messenger, but Live Messenger is now Skype,) so that makes some sense.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Depending on who/how many people you need to skype, you might be able to get them to switch to something else. I've sold a couple people on Jitsi (using the "free multi-person video!" argument--although there was also a dose of "I'm a paranoid black-helicopter future cryptographer, humor me!" so I don't know how well that will work in general. It helps that the Jitsi client is compatible with a lot of services (Google Talk, Yahoo, and so on) that a lot of people have anyway from their email.