Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question for the developers.

Beans

A question for the developers.

I'd like to see Ubuntu be a threat to Windows, put them out of business. But how can that happen when nothing works. A Windows user turns on there computer gets updates/upgrades, installs new programs and life is good, its simple. But us Ubuntu people cant servive without the net/forums for repair tips. A windows noob doesn't exsist because it works. From what I understand Windows is pretty much illegal in China and its all Linux! Are you guys working on it or will it always be a conveluted system? We live in an unstable world, the governmant could throw the kill switch tomorrow on the net and Linux will die. Is that what you want and how can you or I prevent that?
    Last edited by howefield; June 23rd, 2013 at 02:00 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: A question for the developers.

I suggest that you join some group in our community to help with things you enjoy. It is important to combine volunteer work with pleasure, otherwise you won't stay long.

So what would you like to do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

http://community.ubuntu.com/

Cheers and good luck -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Id like to see Linux work, Id like to install updates an upgrades without having to spend two weeks doing Google searches for repairs.
    Last edited by howefield; June 23rd, 2013 at 03:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Would you like to be a tester: to test that the new versions work as intended? Most of the time the next version is developed in such a way, that new versions are released daily, and people can check how the new version works as as soon as possible and report bugs.

Or do you have to skills to find and repair the bad parts of the code to fix the bugs?
    Last edited by sudodus; June 23rd, 2013 at 02:30 PM.

Beans

No I dont wana be a tester, after I download an update/upgrade I usually dont even wana be a user. There is no way I would wana downlaod mega problems to my computer when the released version doesn't work. Can this be fixed? Why is it stupid people like me can use windows with no problems but bring on Ubuntu and everything falls apart esp. if I dont have internet I'd be totally screwed. Linux could be sold in the stores now and life would be great for them, they could check there email, surf the net, chat on facebook, but then the software would tell them they need to do the 40Meg or more in updates a day and there computer wouldn't work anymore. Then they have to be intellegent enough to spend hours on the net trying to figure out how to fix there broken system. This is reality, I wish it was different.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Linux could be sold in the stores now
    There, you have said it! But it is not true. Is it? Linux is not sold! How much did you pay for this failure of an OS? But you paid Microsoft for the OS that came pre-installed on the machine that you purchased.

I remember the days when people did not purchase a new machine to get the latest Windows OS. They purchased the Windows software and when they installed it they found that it lacked drivers for their hardware and the OS ran very slow because they did not have the fastest CPU or enough RAM.

I have never had problems with Ubuntu on my hardware in the 7 years I have been using it. How is that possible? I built my machine myself and I made sure all the components were supported by Linux before I purchased them. That meant that the hardware was not the very latest available. On the other hand, I have had problems with proprietary video drivers breaking the desktop.

My machine has run every release of Ubuntu from 7.04 until now (13.10 development) and I do not have to change CPU, add RAM or buy a more powerful graphic card to keep up. And I have not had to pay one penny or cent for the distribution or the updates and upgrades.

I think that I am getting a very good deal and I am very appreciative of all the time and effort spent by people throughout the open source community, many of whom are working voluntarily.

I do not like posts like this. I will never agree with posts like this.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I dont blame you for not liking posts like this. I also love open source, but as it stands if the net goes down Linux is dead because it wont be able to be supported. I remember buying new versions of Windows Too! Every new version of Windows required twice the CPU power and memory or it was useless, and you paid for the software, plus Windows put the small companies out of business because they couldn't pay for the software liceanse to build machines, this is all more the reason why Linux should exsist. Dont get me wrong I Love Linux and I want to see it succede, just think we need a super Linux Guru or God to make it work. Its add hock right now, every step forward in Linux can be argued as to how many steps forward or how many steps back with the new errors induced.

Beans

I will also ad that I have software CAD, Animation and super high power graphics applications for Linux and paid nothing for any of it,Windows cant touch it even if I paid thousands of dollars for the software. But right now my computer doesnt wana boot so what good is it? If something goes wrong with society and we loose the net and you find two OS copies laying in the rubbel you will have to pick up the Windows version because its the only one that will work without the net.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Why will Windows work best, exactly?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast