Thread: Server issues of the most random type

Beans

Angry Server issues of the most random type

Hello, my soon to be server is having a bunch of unknown issues. The cpu is an athlon dual core that i don't remember the name to, The motherboard is an asus k8n-e, 2x 2GB DDR RAM sticks, [AGP] ATI Radeon 9550 with 256 MB DDR2 RAM, an old IDE hard drive and a known good PSU.

When I press the power button, The "Server" boots up without a post beep, does not display anything, however, the fan spins up properly, The ammount of error beeps it gives off are inconsistent, if at all. I have reset the CMOS, Tried each DIM of RAM alone, I've reseated the graphics card, as well as ALL connections. What could I be missing that could possibly get this turd up off the ground?!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Server issues of the most random type

moved to hardware
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is the machine clean inside? Did you blow out the dust with a real air compressor? You could have some dust under the chipsets that is causing a problem. More likely, you might have some bad capacitors that are causing shorts and not allowing the motherboard to get past POST. Any bulging or leaky capacitors? Use a magnifying glass. Sometimes the power supply puts out correct voltage, but also noise--check for AC voltage on your 3.3, 5 and 12VDC lines using a voltmeter.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 24th, 2013 at 01:05 AM.