Thread: Trouble loading ChrUbuntu

Beans

Trouble loading ChrUbuntu

Hello everyone,

I've installed ChrUbuntu successfully (I think) on my Samsung ARM Chromebook, following the directions on Jay Lee's site. However, when I run it, it just shows an underscore at the top of the screen, blinking indefinitely. What did I do wrong...?

Also, how does one run ChrUbuntu from the Chromebook dev-mode screen? I had to set ChrUbuntu as the default OS in order to even see it, but I'd prefer to have Chrome OS be the default.

Thanks in advance ^^

Beans

Re: Trouble loading ChrUbuntu

I think I've figured out the problem. I pressed Ctrl+D again and it brought me to the ChrUbuntu terminal, and I was able to enter commands and such. But I'm still lacking a desktop environment. I had assumed that it would come automatically with Unity... How do I install it?
    Last edited by temujin1; June 21st, 2013 at 02:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Try entering startx, and see what happens.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

I typed "startx" (next to the $ sign) and the result was "Fatal server error: AddScreen/ScreenInit failed for driver 0".

Beans

Can someone please help?

Beans

"Failed to fetch some archives" when installing GUI

I tried several steps to get a GUI in ChrUbuntu:
    • Ran "curl -L -O http://goo.gl/s9ryd; sudo bash s9ryd ubuntu-desktop"

• Said something about not being able to find "bash"

• Ran "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop"
      • Result was "Failed to fetch some archives"
      • Suggested that I run "--fix-missing" (didn't work) or "an apt-get update" (don't know how)

• Tried to install packages cgpt, vboot-utils, xserver-xorg-video-armsoc
      • Same failure as before

• Ran "startx"
      • "Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file"

I'm not sure what to do from this point... I don't know what it means that it "failed to fetch archives" and I don't know whether it can be fixed or whether I should try with a different environment.

I realise I forgot to specify this earlier -- I'm using Ubuntu 13.04 chrubuntu tty1 on the Samsung ARM Chromebook.
    Last edited by temujin1; June 23rd, 2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Add more

Beans

I'm basically where you are, temujin. I also used Jay Lee's website instructions to get ChrUbuntu on my Samsung ARM Chromebook, but can only get a command line interface. The only difference from you is that I installed version 12.04.2 instead of 13.04 Unity, since Jay's website mentioned the ARM chromebook seems to have some issues with the former. And so I also got the xubuntu-desktop as he recommended that as default on ARM.

Really wish someone would help us... If I happen to figure it out, I'll mention it here though.

UPDATE:

Just found this in the comments section of Jay's webpage:

"Posting to confirm that if you are trying to get the script to run on the Samsung ARM platform you can run "curl -L -O http://goo.gl/s9ryd: bash s9ryd ubuntu-desktop lts" and it will work fine. Then if you want to install lets say XFCE, once Ubuntu Loads, edit your sources.list. (sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list) Uncomment any line ending in "main-restricted" and all four under the "universe" repo. (To be clear, I dont know which one fixes it, I just uncommented all of those and it worked.) Save the file and then run, "sudo apt-get update". After that you can run "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" and after it install you will be able to now switch launchers! I have only tested it with XFCE, but it should work with all of the other launchers as well. Enjoy."

Not sure if it works yet...will get back to you.
    Last edited by travis9; October 1st, 2013 at 01:29 AM.

Beans

Hei, termujin1

Have you resolved this problem?

I am trying to install Linux(Ubuntu or other distro) on Samsung ARM Chromebook. I can't open the link you mentioned, maybe some network issue in China.
    And I refer this one http://www.amirkurtovic.com/blog/ins...p-photo-guide/

And after installation, I typed "Ctrl + U", it beeped and show the "OS verification is OFF" screen.
    Just like no SD is pluged or no OS is installed.

Hmm, have you met this before?