Thread: Whats the best way to re-install Linux after breaking it?

Beans

Whats the best way to re-install Linux after breaking it?

What's the best way of re-installing Linux after say breaking your system with tarballs or if you want to try a new distro?

I usually just delete the partitions and format new ones and install into those. I'm sure there is a more pragmatic way of going about this.

Also, once a distro is deleted and Grub is updated with a new distro is the old distro still in Grub (boot parition) or is it deleted?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Whats the best way to re-install Linux after breaking it?

You can, as long as you're sure you've got the right partition, just install over the top of it. You need to check the option to format the partition when installing.

Installation of grub during a new install will overwrite whatever is in the boot record.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

I clone my installation with fsarchiver. When something goes terribly wrong just restore the image then back in business. It just save my a** yesterday.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you're messing around experimenting and breaking things you might want to consider using a VM. You can create a snapshot of a running system in Virtualbox, if you mess it up then rolling back to the snapshot is just a couple of mouse clicks.