Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SO here I am trying to learn, and help others.

Beans

SO here I am trying to learn, and help others.

A few days ago, I bought a printer. As usual, I had problems. I,ve been using Ubuntu for five years, but never got the terminal thing down. Unlike other OSes if I have an issue with Linux, I'm told to go to the terminal to solve it. I got so mad that I formatted 2 laptops and one PC and installed windows on them so I can use a printer.
    Not any particular one, but whichever one I chose to buy. I referred to myself as a moron, but I really am not. Any way, I was put in my place by a man here that I suppose has all the answers, and in his ultimate wisdom, made me feel even worse than I did. So where I'm going with all of this is that the folks that do know, can't explain things in terms I can understand. So I bought two books, and have one more on the way. I'm disabled, and stuck in the house most of the time and I am going learn, from scratch and as long as I can post here, I will. This way, when someone is in a desperate way maybe that person can learn with me. If there are any others here that can't understand, we can help each other. I have reinstalled Ubuntu 13.4 on a machine just to try the things I learn. So if anyone is interrested, check back in this "beginner section". I'm not asking for sarcastic remarks, just wanting to learn, and help those that want the same thing I do.
    Last edited by billcecil; June 20th, 2013 at 03:07 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: SO here I am trying to learn, and help others.

I had trouble initially connecting a Brother printer to my 12.04 machine but with some help from the forums got it set up. What is the make and model of your printer? Perhaps someone can help you with more information
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:

Beans
    Hidden!

I wish you good luck with your good project to learn and help. It is quite similar to mine

I hope that you forget about those old sarcastic remarks. We are really friendly most of the time.

And please remove your email address before a spammer finds it and starts to abuse it!

Beans

I did remove my e-mail, but encourage anyone with problems to try to get help here at this forum, in spite of those that have so much knowledge that they can't explain in a way to be understood by a beginner. I do appretiate your responce. I'm on another forum, not related to computers, but still a tech forum. No one there ever made me feel worse than when I started. I did in fact work through the issue I had, and got the machine to print, but I still formatted and went back to windows. It took just over 17 hours but I got it. I have installed Ubuntu on another machine just to learn. When I learn, I promise to help anyone that needs me.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have also learned the hard way that hardware, particularly peripheral hardware like printers, is difficult to get running in linux. There are also many problems with hardware for graphics and wifi.This is because many manufacturers are not interested in linux.

So nowadays I check which brand name and model is compatible with linux before I decide what to buy. It really makes life easier. It is often quite good to ask here at the Ubuntu Forums before deciding what to get.

By the way, have you tried any other flavour of Ubuntu yet? Which balance do you want between eye-candy and speed? What are your computer specs? There are

- Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Xubuntu, ...

You find a lot of information in the Ubuntu community wiki pages.

And you started to learn about terminal window commands, bash and shell-scripts. Once you know the basics of it, you will find it quite efficient.

Finally, I kept Windows for about two years until I did not need it more than maybe once or twice a year ...

So take it easy and enjoy the ride

Beans

This forum is a great way to learn and expand knowledge but there are other ways to get the info that you need. I just Googled "how to install hp printer ubuntu" and there were
    748000 results. As for the cmd line just open the terminal on one of your virtual screens and copy and paste from browser. There is a small learning curve to switch to linux
    but the end results far more than out weight the problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Moved to Ubuntu Linux and OS Chat .
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zrdc28 View Post
    This forum is a great way to learn and expand knowledge but there are other ways to get the info that you need. I just Googled "how to install hp printer ubuntu" and there were
    748000 results. As for the cmd line just open the terminal on one of your virtual screens and copy and paste from browser. There is a small learning curve to switch to linux
    but the end results far more than out weight the problems.
    Here we are again. I suppose you think I'm too stupid to google anything. That is the way I got my machine to work with a printer, not from here. I didn't just switch to Linux, but have been using it for a looooooooooooooooooong time. I just had to use someone elses computer and printer when I needed to print what I had to. I also used Red Hat before I used Ubuntu. I didn't start this thread to get help, but to offer it. I can see that that's not why others are here. People come here for help, and the "GURUs" give a bunch of Linux jargon and expect that if they don't get it then they are completely ignorant.

Beans

By the way, there are almost 5000 results when I GOOGLE your screen name.

Beans

I also started with redhat. RH8 as a matter of fact. I learned early that all hardware and peripherals are not created equal. I was lucky when i bought my first computer
    i also bought an hp printer and scanner.I had such great service from hp i wont buy anything else. early on 6.10 0r 7.04 there was a problem with the scanner working, then one day it started working and never a problem since.

There are some things that need doing in CL, for those i have the commands in a document and just copy and paste. I do still remember the days when the standard answer to any question on any board was RTFM.
    I have walked people thru a CL installation of an app over the phone 2400 miles away with no problem. so it isnt that hard.
    i just keep plugging away at it
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast