Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SO here I am trying to learn, and help others.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: SO here I am trying to learn, and help others.

Hello!

If you feel that anyone here treats you as an idiot for not understanding right off the bat, posts can be reported to the staff and we can deal with them.

As for Linux jargon, this is a Linux help forum. Of course Linux jargon is used. If you don't understand it, please ask for clarification. Most of us here will back up and take the time to do that.

The reason that help is often given in the form of instructions to use the terminal is fairly simple. There a literally dozens of desktop environments (DEs) that are used by those seeking help here. It would be well nigh impossible for everyone to know exactly how to approach a problem with simple "click this then click that" instructions for every DE. What is common to all DEs is the ability to use the terminal. By using the terminal, we all dispense with the need to worry about what particular DE someone is using.

It is also a good idea to avoid approaching requests for help with a combative or hostile attitude towards those who volunteer their time here as they have it. They don't deserve brickbats any more than you deserve a snide answer to your requests for help.

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

billcecil
    I couldn't agree more with QIII. One should always remember that those who provide assistance in the help sections of these forums are volunteers. They come from different walks of life and for some English may not even be there first language. But they still endeavor to provide support for nothing but a simple "Thank You".

One suggestion I'd like to make is: Try not to be so thin skinned. Your response to
    zrdc28 in this thread was <in my humble opinion> unnecessary. I'm also disabled and was forced to leave a lucrative career in process engineering, due to said disability. Initially, it was tough and like you I'm forced to spend much of my time indoors. But over the past years I've enjoyed helping others (neighbors, friends, etc.) install & use Linux. I invested my entire first year of disability learning Linux (still am learning) and found it a great way to not only help others, but feel productive.

I chose to focus my energies primarily on friends and family, but you may find it more rewarding to spend time helping the masses - or do both. Like many things in life, I believe patience and tenacity always pay big dividends when it comes to learning anything new.

Good Luck. I wish you the best and hope you truly enjoy your Linux journey.

Mac

Just my $0.02
    Last edited by Tamlynmac; June 21st, 2013 at 04:55 AM.
    "All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward."
    Ellen Glasgow

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by billcecil View Post
    Here we are again. I suppose you think I'm too stupid to google anything. That is the way I got my machine to work with a printer, not from here. I didn't just switch to Linux, but have been using it for a looooooooooooooooooong time. I just had to use someone elses computer and printer when I needed to print what I had to. I also used Red Hat before I used Ubuntu. I didn't start this thread to get help, but to offer it. I can see that that's not why others are here. People come here for help, and the "GURUs" give a bunch of Linux jargon and expect that if they don't get it then they are completely ignorant.
    I don't think you understand the nature of a forum; you give help by commenting on people's requests for help (threads), not starting a thread complaining about people who have tried to help you in the past.
    Google is your friend. I've managed to solve probably 98% of all my Linux problems by following links given to me by Google.

Tamlynmac gives some good advice.
    GNU/Linux Notes || Linux Command Line Learning Resources

Copy.com offers 15 GB free cloud storage plus 5 GB for both of us when you follow this referral link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Linux takes 10 years to learn. So if you have been at it for 5 years, then you are halfway there. Being angry is a good motivator for trimming plants or learning a new distro. If you completely botch an new linux installation, it makes want to try again--perhaps not right away, but eventually you will want to try again. Have a printer that won't print? Anger is your friend. Use it to dig a little deeper and you will find the answers.

Everything if fixable in linux--you just have to find the patience.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread Closed

Reason:
    Got your point, thread has run its course.

Perhaps you could start helping by posting how you got your printer working in the 'Tutorials' sub-forum and let's put all this to bed. If you have a question just ask. If you get any problems, report immediately and staff will deal with it. It is the minority that talk down, it can attract infractions and warnings, and it is strongly disuaded (it skirts the line with flaming).

When you became a member here you would have read the Forum Code of Conduct. Read 'Section II - Posting Tips' here, particularly the last part 'When answering technical support issues':

http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules

Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 21st, 2013 at 07:06 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12