Thread: Contribute by using Ubuntu +1

Beans

Question Contribute by using Ubuntu +1

Can I contribute to Ubuntu developing process just by using Ubuntu +1 version as daily basis?
    Last edited by noersetiawan; June 20th, 2013 at 03:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Contribute by using Ubuntu +1

You can help by reporting any bugs, errors that happen during the testing process. Read some of the links inside this sticky link .

Beans

Is there a way to report any bug automatically?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by noersetiawan View Post
    Is there a way to report any bug automatically?
    into a terminal, run: ubuntu-bug packagename2bereported

Beans

Um what I mean is can I just use my computer as usual to browse the internet and typing, but whenever a bug show up, it reported automatically without I have to do anything.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Um what I mean is can I just use my computer as usual to browse the internet and typing, but whenever a bug show up, it reported automatically without I have to do anything.
    hm, you seems not yet understand the very basic things about an OS. As that subforum (U+1) is about the bleeding hedge stuff, you'd better to post into the noob subforum (aka beginners subforum)

Beans

If the bug causes a crash it will pretty much do it itself, you just need to click on a popup's button or 2, then you're done. Any non crash bug you'd need to actually report as previously mentioned.

I gather If you make use of the Home scope with online access enabled (by default it is), you'll help 'smart scopes' in some small fashion

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Sort of, see the Apport app.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

What you are looking for would be called snooping by many people. Ubuntu does not report to the developers without our permission.

When we use the development version a utility called Apport (Ubuntu-bug) is activated by default. It detects system crashes and notifies us of the crash and we are given the option to report the crash. We can choose not to report the crash. If we want to report the crash we will be taken to the Launchpad bug reporting page. We need to have set up a Launchpad account to go further. Apport will collect data from our OS that is useful in understanding why the crash happened. If there is the possibility of that data containing personal information, then we will be asked to confirm the attachment of those files to the bug report.

Sometimes Apport will tell us that there is no need to report the crash because the developers are already aware of this bug. And the process will go no further. A lot of the difficulty in reporting bugs has been removed by the use of Apport but it is still not as 'behind the scenes' as you wish.

I do not think that Ubuntu uses would want the OS to be reporting back to the developers without the agreement of the user. If that sort of activity took place inside the OS, then any kind of information could be collected without our knowledge. And I do not think that many of us would like that.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 20th, 2013 at 02:27 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Wow thanks I understand it by now.