Thread: Upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 fails, no error message

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 fails, no error message

Hello all,

I decided to upgrade to Raring tonight and in doing so, can't get past 12.10 Quantal. There is no error message to display but boot-info script from my 12.04 live CD I created does say it is installed. Is there a way from the recovery console I can upgrade to Raring?
    Last edited by sports fan Matt; June 20th, 2013 at 06:04 AM.
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Upgrade from 12:10 to 13.04 fails, no error message

Going to burn a raring ISO but need to know if I can recover my files from my 12.04 install..etc
    "There is no failure, just ways that don't work" And when this is realized, people are much happier in life because if they stop trying, they fail as to give up. If people take this approach in life, they will never ever fail"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 fails, no error message

There should be a home directory or /home partition (depending on how you've set things up) somewhere on your hard drive.

It's a matter of booting with your liveCD and looking for it. Once you've found it and mounted it, you can copy your files to an external drive, or online storage if you prefer that.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Yeah, not sure if 12.10 was a bad release for a lot of people (saw a lot of threads where it was bad) so I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a problem. I upgraded because as I found out, the text in Chromium (no matter what I tried, wouldn't adjust with gnome-tweak or chromium itself.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Every release is bad for at least some users, and upgrades are a bit of a gamble at any time. I've only done it when working with Ubuntu +1.

In your situation, I'd be inclined to find and rescue the user files and then reinstall completely.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.