Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My wife is driving me nuts. Help me!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: My wife is driving me nuts. Help me!

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    Show her that $40 per ticket adds up to a lot of money. If she spends $40 per week on lottery, thats $2,080 per year. I dont know how old you and your wife are, but say youre in your 40s and have, hopefully, a good 35 years of life left. $2,080 per year times 35 years is $72,800. By not buying lottery tickets, shes essentially won the lottery.
    Using logic to make her change her mind ? He's got a better chance at winning the lottery than for that to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

koenn, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Logic is of no use here. Mikodo either needs to decide it is not worth the energy and effort to do anything and there may be nothing to do anyway, or he needs to use some very serious psychology. She needs to decide to stop playing the lottery and she is not going to decide that by his arguing or discussing or using logic. The reason I mentioned Dreikers to him is his idea of 'logical consequences' seems to work for all ages in most any situation.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

By the way, mikodo, if you think my idea is at least worth checking out, I did check Amazon and the book is available. http://www.amazon.com/Children-Chall.../dp/0452266556. Just be careful about leaving it lying around. She may pick it up and use it's ideas on you, too! Seriously, although it is a book about raising children, it works equally well for adults. I've seen it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agillator View Post
    On the other hand, I figure I have won a dollar a week on the lottery here - I don't play.
    Going by that logic, I must be rich! That System76 laptop I didn't buy for $800, I must have won that $800. That $10,000 car I didn't buy, is $10,000 I've won! Thanks, now I'm going to not go out and not celebrate with all of the money I didn't spend!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The comparison case is still valid, though. mikodo is winning $40 more per lottery than his wife is. That could be compared over any arbitrary length of time.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

That $40/month is a mighty number. Show her how many shoes she could've bought with that $40 by not participating in the lottery for 10 years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My wife buys shoes and jewellery and stuff I don't see any value in, I buy records and gadgets and stuff that she can't see the value in. So long as the lottery ticket purchases are not more than you can afford, let her have some fun

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

How about telling her that she's allowed to spend $10 of your money per week on the lottery, but she's allowed to spend $30 per week of her own money, on the lottery.

The only way she can spend $40 per week on the lottery is by getting a job - she she'll be bringing in more than $40 a week if she got a part-time job. Win!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Sometimes it's about the consequences. If the consequences of not playing the lottery are more desirable (to her) than playing it, she'll stop playing.
    BACKUPS are unsexy — until you discover you should have done one yesterday.
    Spare your nerves and do one before you upgrade or install.

Could she be addicted to buying lottery tickets?
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234