Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recursive Delete throughout Multiple Directories

Beans

Recursive Delete throughout Multiple Directories

Hey there,

So I want to delete all avgd files in all directories, hopefully with one command. I was curious if this would be acceptable (I'm very nervous about wiping out everything and not just the intended):

Code:
    rm -ir *avgd
    The intention is to delete interactively so it only deletes what I intended, and -r for recursive.
    I'm not sure the wild care * works that way though, I've only used it on file types, not general words.

Is this the way, is there another way, or will I just have to go through each and every location manually?

Stats:
    Ubuntu 13.04, 32-bit

Thanks!
    jll339

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Recursive Delete throughout Multiple Directories

This is a dangerous command and you should be nervous. First off , back up your system. You could test it on a dummy dir's and files first.

Beans

Good idea, thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

find

You could use find:

Code:
    find . -name "*avgd" -exec echo rm {} \;
    You can see the full list of options in the manual page for find. But the above looks recursively in the current directory for any files ending in avgd and then does an 'echo' with the file name in the text. Remove 'echo' once the output is what you want.

Beans

The avgd files all end in different file types, though.
    Last edited by jll339; June 19th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Beans

Yes, that command is OK.

What NOT to do:
    NEVER use *. with rm, because * includes . meaning that you can then get .. which will back up one directory, which will then cause it to eventually recurse over the whole file system, which is usually not what you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jll339 View Post
    Nope... didn't work at all. Ok thanks unless anybody has any other ideas I guess I'll do it manually. Thanks again!
    The find command listed above won't actally delete anything until you modify it. How to modify it should become more obvious once you get more familiar with how it works and what it does.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    The find command listed above won't actally delete anything until you modify it. How to modify it should become more obvious once you get more familiar with how it works and what it does.
    Hi thanks for your code from earlier, I actually made a test and tried it out on that. It worked perfectly! The not working comment I made and later changed was for another before I realized you had made a new post. Sorry!

I liked the echo part, it helped to clarify. Thanks again! I will use this method.

Beans

Red face Re: Recursive Delete throughout Multiple Directories

Done! Thanks again! Quick question before I close this, I'm just curious as to why
    Code:
    locate avgd
    will still show all these files and directories that don't exist anymore?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

locate

locate searches a database (/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db) which is a snapshot of the system at the time the database was filled. So if you move things around, install or uninstall things, the contents of the database will vary from what is really there.

You should be able to force an update manually.

Code:
    sudo updatedb
    Otherwise, the database should get updated daily when your daily cronjobs get run.
    What the database contains can be fine tuned in /etc/updatedb.conf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast