Thread: Converting DVD Rip with MakeMKV to Ps3 Format and Keep Subtitles?

Beans

Converting DVD Rip with MakeMKV to Ps3 Format and Keep Subtitles?

I was wondering what the best way to convert an mkv ripped with makemkv to a ps3 playable format and keep subtitles that can be toggled?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Converting DVD Rip with MakeMKV to Ps3 Format and Keep Subtitles?

Rather than converting the files, you could run ps3mediaserver on the Ubuntu box, then connect to it from the PS3 using the DLNA protocol that it supports natively. It should do the conversions on-the-fly. I don't know about how it handles soft subtitles, though.

Natively the PS3 does not support Matroska. The only supported container that handles subs is MP4. Handbrake can convert to that format and preserve the subtitles. If you want to use Handbrake, follow the instructions on this page to add the repository for Ubuntu.

If you are willing to have "hard" subtitles, ones burnt into the video image, you can convert to XviD+MP3 in the AVI container with ffmpeg or mencoder.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 19th, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Converting DVD Rip with MakeMKV to Ps3 Format and Keep Subtitles?

Handbrake can preserve the subtitles and have them optional on ps3? I thought that it only worked with forced subtitles? I also tried media server before but i'm on wifi and far away from router so i prefer a native format. It would be awefully nice to rip my dvds and have them on the harddrive.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.