Thread: Best/most recent Ubuntu version I can install on Powerbook G4 Titanium?

Beans

Best/most recent Ubuntu version I can install on Powerbook G4 Titanium?

I recently aquired an friends old, (PPC) Powerbook G4 Titanium and would like to install Ubuntu as tbh I cannot stand the Apple OS, (of any kind) and was wondering what would the best/most recent version I could expect to install and have good functionality?

I've been using GNU/Linux distros for around 5 years now but have never attempted an install on Apple hardware before so any advice will be greatfully recieved.

Thanx.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Best/most recent Ubuntu version I can install on Powerbook G4 Titanium?

As far as I can see, the most recent would be 12.10 or 12.04.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads/

Which one is the best? I guess you should try live versions of both and see which one works better on your machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lubuntu

Also take a look at Lubuntu. The GUI will be a little faster on the G4 than regular Ubuntu and there have been PPC versions for each release.

Beans

If you're feeling adventurous, you could always try the PPC iso image for 13.04. It worked fine for me on my iMac G3, except that the mouse kept stalling, even if I just move it around in circles on the desktop real fast.... it might be a kernel-related bug, but I wouldn't know for sure. Perhaps your G4 would have better luck. Oh, I'm talking about regular Ubuntu 13.04 (Unity), not Lubuntu.... even though the "bug" still seemed to be there for me in Lubuntu 13.04 as well.

Beans

Im not entirly sure about the hardware of your computer other then that it is powerpc. But i can say that 12.04 is going to be the most stable version. I know on my laptop that the official drivers(in my case catalyst) worked fine out of box on my macbook pro. But now on ubuntu 13.04 these drivers do not want to install properly. However, 13.04 is much faster and still fairly stable. Ive never use 12.10. So if you wamt bleeding edge use the most up to date ubuntu that your computer can handle. If you want stability use 12.04.