Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did unity-lens-shopping go?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Where did unity-lens-shopping go?

Hello,

where did this package go?
    I wanted to uninstall the package to disable the amazon search, but it is no longer in the repository.
    What package deals with the shopping search now?
    Please don't tell me it is now an inherent part of unity and you can no longer remove it?

Beans

Re: Where did unity-lens-shopping go?

Go to the "Privacy" tab in "System Settings" - you can disable it from there.
    i5 2500K / Corsair H50-1 / Asus P8P67-M Pro / 16GB Corsair Vengeance / EVGA GTX260 SSC / HP BDRW / 120GB Crucial M4 SSD /
    OCZ Modstream 780W / CoolerMaster 590 case / Dell E248WFP / Saitek Eclipse II / Logitech G9 / Ubuntu 12.10-64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Interesting. Why isn't it there? I don't have 12.10 or 13.04 installed here, so I can't check, but: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ll&section=all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's strange...it is still listed in ubuntu software center on my 13.04 install...i just turned off online search in privacy settings instead of actually uninstalling it...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Also, I don't have privacy anymore, removed zietgeist, but still get ads. This use to wok sudo apt-get remove unity-lens-shopping
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

Does Kubuntu have this feature also?

Beans

Re: Product searches (from sub scopes of 'more suggestions'

There is no shopping lens lens anymore, you're using the beginnings of 100 scopes
    Overall a large number of the current & future scopes will only be useful with online access, this includes many that have nothing to do with product searches/results, ect.

Many scopes are individually packages/installed & can be removed or enabled in synaptic or S-c.
    As far as product searches, those I've seen are not from packaged scopes, they can only be disabled thru dconf if one wants to have online access enabled for other scopes.

Mentioned here, currently have found 3 sub scopes that provide product results -
    "more_suggestions-amazon.scope": (obvious
    "more_suggestions-skimlinks.scope" (provides results from all over, Target ect.
    "more_suggestions-u1ms.scope" ( obvious

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12693960
    Last edited by mc4man; June 19th, 2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: adjusted title

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

That makes it even more difficult than before. I just don't want to have to load another program, dconf-editor to do it. Then there's the hassle of finding all the links. By the way, that link you gave on the other link "https://productsearch.ubuntu.com/smartscopes/v1/search?q=" , what is that, and how did you create it? I got something like this:

{"scopes": [["info-openweathermap.scope", "client"], ["music-audacious.scope", "client"], ["music-clementine.scope", "client"], ["music-gmusicbrowser.scope", "client"], ["music-guayadeque.scope", "client"], ["music-musique.scope", "client"], ["music-soundcloud.scope", "client"], ["code-devhelp.scope", "client"], ["code-github.scope", "client"], ["graphics-colourlovers.scope", "client"], ["graphics-deviantart.scope", "client"], ["help-manpages.scope", "client"], ["help-texdoc.scope", "client"], ["help-yelp.scope", "client"], ["recipes-gourmet.scope", "client"], ["reference-imdb.scope", "client"], ["reference-zotero.scope", "client"], ["more_suggestions-amazon.scope", "server"], ["more_suggestions-skimlinks.scope", "server"], ["more_suggestions-u1ms.scope", "server"], ["reference-wikipedia.scope", "server"], ["reference-dictionary.scope", "server"], ["info-ddg_related.scope", "server"]], "type": "recommendations"}
    {"
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans

Re: user side adjustments

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    That makes it even more difficult than before. I just don't want to have to load another program, dconf-editor to do it. Then there's the hassle of finding all the links. By the way, that link you gave on the other link "https://productsearch.ubuntu.com/smartscopes/v1/search?q=" , what is that, and how did you create it? I got something like this:

Easier or harder is I guess a matter of pov, from Ubuntu's they're making it easier for users & as typical will not provide many gui settings options.
    At least, (for the moment), there are some user available options thru dconf, though as mentioned in 1st. post bug links in the scopes thread some are of questionable value.

As long as any settings/options have enabled schemas/keys then it's not that hard to provide a gui to adjust, while unlikely Ubuntu will provide that much it wouldn't be surprising to see some 3rd party app(s) doing so down the road as this whole deal matures.

Here I've dumped 13.10 for the moment, will pick up again a bit down the road though mainly to see if unity/compiz on 13.10 is any better than unity/compiz in 12.04 or 13.04 & if not overall, can any elements, (positive), of 13.10 be applied to 12/13.04
    Ultimately unity7/compiz is dead, as far as unity8(next) on the desktop will likely wait till 14.04 when Ubuntu *thinks* there will be a use-able desktop version (history says it won't, though that could be a matter of of perspective or it may be 11.04 all over again...

As far as the link, found that while digging into what skimlinks was, other than that only know it showed me the names of those sub scopes to disable, ie.
    master scope - more_suggestions, sub scopes - amazon ,skimlinks, u1ms

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wiking View Post
    Does Kubuntu have this feature also?
    Well since Kubuntu is just Ubuntu with KDE desktop I assume it does have this feature...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast