Thread: NTFS lost

Beans

Question NTFS lost

I had Windows 8 with two NTFS partitions - the first C with ~70gb and the second E for ~240gb. I was planning to replace C with Xubuntu leaving E partition untouched. I was thinking about making 30gb root directory and 40gb home, but I wanted to see what it would be like if I use the autointallation (via LiveUSB if it matters). But I was not expecting it to touch ALL of my partitions. What I'd really love to see is to recover the data from E partition somehow. Is there a way to do so? Or at least a part of the data.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pacceq; June 19th, 2013 at 10:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: NTFS lost

I think you'll have to use Testdisk to rebuild the NTFS partition: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you can afford to spend a little, then 'get data back for NTFS' is a good program for recovering data (from NTFS systems); I'd probably say that it's the best.

Either way, stop booting from or using the drive, as you'll just lose the potential to recover more of the data.

Beans

Talking Re: NTFS lost

Quote Originally Posted by UbuntuRaptor View Post
    I think you'll have to use Testdisk to rebuild the NTFS partition: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    Many thanks! filedisk worked great! =D>

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome to the forums. Great news and you would be relieved. Please mark thread as solved by following the link in my signature.

PS: Have mercy on those with slow connections, low bandwidth, vision problems and attach large screenshots/pics in future rather than inserting them in the body of your post, please. Click 'Go Advanced' and then paperclip icon.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 19th, 2013 at 03:43 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Welcome to the forums. Great news and you would be relieved. Please mark thread as solved by following the link in my signature.

PS: Have mercy on those with slow connections, low bandwidth, vision problems and attach large screenshots/pics in future rather than inserting them in the body of your post, please. Click 'Go Advanced' and then paperclip icon.
    Ok, thanks a lot!