Thread: ubuntu on ipad - possible?

Beans

ubuntu on ipad - possible?

I saw a few closed threads for this that were posted back when the ipad was first released, and the conclusion was no, but with the ipad being around for a few more years, has it become possible to install ubuntu on an ipad?

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: ubuntu on ipad - possible?

No, I don't think Apple would support it. You have to understand that Apple makes money by creating a closed ecology of i-gadgets together with custom made hardware and a web of supporting software (like itunes). Instead of expecting Linux to work on i-gadgets and their supporting software I would simply avoid that ecology by not buying Apple. Apple is controlling but not hard to avoid, it only traps people who wants to be trapped but it doesn't go out of its way to screw you like MicroSoft.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 19th, 2013 at 01:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

It's neither possible nor impossible, but rather unknown. Apple is notorious for having its hardware configured in such a way to make it only compatible with the OS it is designed for. For what it's worth, lassiez-faire; Apple wouldn't be supporting Linux on their own machines lest their customers finds out about the Android OS which runs on many devices at ease.

Beans