Thread: Do Web-Apps Even Work?

Beans

Angry Do Web-Apps Even Work?

I installed a couple of the Google web apps in Ubuntu 13.04 just to try them. I had avoided them since release and was merely curious. However the only thing it installed was crap for Ubuntu One Music and Amazon instead of GMail and Google Calendar. Do they simply not work in 13.04?

Also I read that all they do is open that site in chrome. Is this true? If so it is one of the most idiotic features I've heard of. What is the value of a Gmail app that simply opens Gmail in your browser? All it does is save me an extra click, because I just open up Chrome then hit Gmail since Google is my homepage.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Do Web-Apps Even Work?

In my limited experience with web apps it seems all they have done is open the browser to the login page . A browser bookmark accomplishes the same thing, but I might not be using web apps properly.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by JosephBeck View Post
    Also I read that all they do is open that site in chrome. Is this true? If so it is one of the most idiotic features I've heard of. What is the value of a Gmail app that simply opens Gmail in your browser? All it does is save me an extra click, because I just open up Chrome then hit Gmail since Google is my homepage.
    That is pretty much the definition of web app

Anyway, they do a bit more than that, depending on the web app in question you might get notifications in the indicator area, and additional features in the launcher icon (like the mail count and quick options to compose a new message in Gmail's icon, for example)
    Last edited by mcduck; June 18th, 2013 at 07:52 PM.

Beans

From what I understand I believe web apps come from the mobile device world? I don't really see the use of them in the laptop and desktop world, least when it comes to enhancing productivity. It really isn't much faster. Regardless of their handiness, I still can't seem to get them to function. I know some people had issues with them but they seem to be working for people that have 12.10 which is why I am assuming this is just a 13.04 issue. The term web-app seems to really be nothing more than a renaming of what I call a desktop shortcut back when I used Windows. Except obviously it is purely for website content, not file manager content as well.
    Last edited by JosephBeck; June 18th, 2013 at 10:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

There are additional features. If you right-click a web app's icon you get easy access to website functions. Web apps have menus at the top of the screen like real apps. You get system notifications. You can search their menus with the HUD.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    There are additional features. If you right-click a web app's icon you get easy access to website functions. Web apps have menus at the top of the screen like real apps. You get system notifications. You can search their menus with the HUD.
    Doesn't seem to impressive but I guess I won't be able to find out since they aren't working. It isn't worth doing a fresh install to me. Maybe I'll revisit it when I update to 13.10 in the Fall.