Every version/flavor of ubuntu that I install, I have to figure out all over again, and for this installation, how to get this wireless adapter working again.
With Lucid, adding firmware-addons-dell and, possibly, linux-firmware-nonfree packages seemed to work. I stuck with Lucid for years; I could only sporadically get it to work on Mavrick, Natty, and Oneric. I just upgraded to Precise, and want to post what I did.
I found this closed thread that helped me, but it didn't have everything, because I ran into problems:
I installed the package ndisgtk via Synaptic
I had to download and decompress the file I've reattached here
I installed the driver within:
DellTruemobile1300WirelessUSB-Linux$ sudo ndiswrapper -i oem15.inf
I got "fatal" error whenever I tried to modprobe ndiswrapper or anything of the sort, but following some other instructions, I ran these magic spells:
I should've done a man depmod to figure out what it would do before I went along with it, but I didn't. It's possible that it's not even a necessary step.
sudo depmod -a
sudo ndiswrapper -m
The ndiswrapper -m, according to the documentation and the terminal response, edits a conf file that should allow it to be found again on startup.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...roubleshooting said that getting that fatal error I should follow some other documentation. But, after unplugging the card and plugging it back in, then removing the ethernet cable, the network manager recognized it.