Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Authenticate, Authenticate,... Can I scratch my nose without Authenticate ?

Beans

Re: Authenticate, Authenticate,... Can I scratch my nose without Authenticate ?

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Try this in your GUI:
    Create a text file in your home directory. Create a new folder in home. Try to move the text file to the new folder.
    If any of those operations fails, let us know.

Why ?
    I have no problems puttering with files and directories in "home"
    That never was not the issue.

The issue is accessing other directories and being forced into terminal mode to do stuff that should be doable on a GUI, were the security system not set up to be so xxxx- retentive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

That's really not suppose to happen. You should be able to move files from and to your home directory, to USB drives, Windows partitions, etc. As long as its not to folders which belong to root.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Why ?
    I have no problems puttering with files and directories in "home"
    That never was not the issue.
    This indicates that things are working properly. You own what is in your home, and root owns what is in system directories. You need to have elevated privileges to modify those directories and their content. You have to do the same to modify what is in another user's home directory.

The same applies to every distro I use, as well as my Windows 7 installation. You are not being kept from modifying your own system, it is simply necessary to elevate your privileges as necessary -- a trait common to Linux distributions where you don't, by default, log in as root.

I appreciate your frustration and recognize that you have every right to be unhappy about this.

I'm not an Ubuntu evangelist, so I have no problem in suggesting that if this arrangement does not work for you, you have the option to go to a different distro. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that and nobody here should give you any grief for that.

It doesn't make any sense to me to persist in using something that is not working for you. It is not worth the effect on your blood pressure.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 2F4U View Post
    As far as I know, Puppy is more like a single-user system ,,, <snip>.... Usually, Linux is implemented as multi-user system.
    Your post made me realize that in part that is my complaint
    I suspect that most Linux installations are in fact single-user systems sittng at home or even in an office.

As such the whole superstructure of that is valid for a multi-user system is quite redundant in such cases.
    There is also the complete nonsense about being repeatedly asked to ID yourself, or having to to go through useless extra steps because of it.

Apparently, no on has yet really taken time to spend some clear thought on the subject.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

While I sympathize with the OP, I'm not aware of any Linux that will allow an ordinary user to copy fies into a root-owned directory. That kind of permission system has been around in Unix since the beginning. changing it would likely percolate out all kinds of issues.

If I had something like /media/me and I wanted to put files there as an ordinary user, I'd change ownership of "me" from root to "me".

Also, something like "gksudo nautilus" via alt-f2 gets you a file manager running with escalated privileges.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; June 28th, 2013 at 09:55 PM.

Beans

Fortunately for the rest of us, Ubuntu is not designed by idiots.
    I work as a Windows admin, and I get the identical behavior in Windows 7. If your Windows does not ask you for a password when performing admin tasks, it has not been correctly configured.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Fortunately for the rest of us, Ubuntu is not designed by idiots.
    I work as a Windows admin, and I get the identical behavior in Windows 7. If your Windows does not ask you for a password when performing admin tasks, it has not been correctly configured.

A most valid point when you are in a multi-user environment with graduated levels of security.
    But seems a bit redundant when you are the sole user/administrator and chief bottle washer on a box that is sitting alone in your SOHO.

And frankly my dog is far too busy climbing up into trees to bother hacking it when I'm not there,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yeah, we do need a better way to authenticate.

Permissions and ownership are deeply embedded in operating systems, and passwords are part of that.

Meanwhile, visitors, relatives, repair people, etc., all have physical access to computers that are otherwise used by one person.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Due to the circular nature of this discussion and since password authentication is a currently supported feature of Ubuntu/Linux the thread is closed.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12