Thread: Two gateways for two VPN connections

Beans

Two gateways for two VPN connections

Hi,

I have two DSL lines and need one VPN connetion on each of them. It was no problem to configure the server and clients, both connections are working fine, but only separatley. How can I force the openVPN Client
    to use a second connection/gateway, e.g. eth0 192.168.0.x --> 10.8.0.x --> server / eth1 192.168.179.x --> 10.8.1.x --> server ? Gateways are 192.168.0.1 and192.168.179.1 .

Best regards

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Two gateways for two VPN connections

In general, the host can only have one "default gateway," the address to which traffic not intended for locally-routed subnets is forwarded. You can have multiple gateways if you use routing "metrics," but still only one of them will be active at a time.

That said, I don't really understand your question. Are there certain kinds of traffic you want to send over one VPN and leave the rest to the other? Is there a way to discriminate between the two classes of traffic based on destination IP addresses? Perhaps you want to combine the two interfaces into a single pipe? That requires the use of "bonding."

You need to be more specific about the problem you are trying to solve.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; June 18th, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thank you for your answer SeijiSensei, I will try to explain my idea a little bit more precise.

The goal is to connect to a server via two separate VPN connections. There are two
    DSL lines and two networks/router (gateway 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.179.1) and also
    NIC's eth0 and eth1.

First I have to establish a connection from line #1 and one from line #2 to the Server over
    VPN, if these connetions work stable and fast simultaniously then the fun has just begun

I will bond the devices tap0 and tap1 into a single one on each side, I hope to increase the
    upload data rate. At the moment they are at 5000kbit/s and 10000kbit/s, possibly this ist the
    next problem, without any more modifications only 10000kbit/s will be available (2*5000kbit/s)
    I think, because the slower line rules the bonded connection. Due to the difference the
    packages ought to be devided into two streams (66%/33%) but I have no clue how to do this.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Perhaps the solution is to bond the Ethernet NICs first, then set up the tunnel over the bonded interface?
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users