Thread: Ubuntu Server: How do i enable networking?

Beans

Ubuntu Server: How do i enable networking?

I had some trouble during the install on the network setup, and just told it i would set up the network later. What i didnt expect however, is that by default, Ubuntu server doesnt have a GUI enabled, so i dont know how to do that. I want to enable a GUI next, but from what ive read, i need my internet connection active in order to do that. Maybe im bad for jumping stright to the server version over the desktop version, but its what im wanting to use it for. Were can i go to setup my network card to work with my router?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Ubuntu Server: How do i enable networking?

But pretty-much the only difference between the desktop and server versions is the absence of a desktop in the server version. Still, your call.

In the server version, the networking is set up in file /etc/network/interfaces. For a server, you probably want a static IP address. Here is an example configuration stanza for a static IP address:

Code:
    # The main network interface
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.42
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.1.0
        broadcast 192.168.1.255
        gateway 192.168.1.1

# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
        dns-nameservers 192.168.1.40 192.168.2.40
        dns-search mydomain.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The Cog View Post
    But pretty-much the only difference between the desktop and server versions is the absence of a desktop in the server version. Still, your call.

In the server version, the networking is set up in file /etc/network/interfaces. For a server, you probably want a static IP address. Here is an example configuration stanza for a static IP address:

Oh? So would i get the same tools and efficiency from the desktop version as i would the server version? I just got it installed so its no big deal to re-install a different one.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hay,

Oh? So would i get the same tools and efficiency from the desktop version as i would the server version? I just got it installed so its no big deal to re-install a different one.
    In my opinion, if you need to ask that, install a "normal" ubuntu (one with a desktop environment NOT a server install) and then use that and if you so desire later, you can disable the DE so it boots exactly like the server install you currently have, with the difference you can start a DE later if you need.

I am not trying to be rude, but I strongly suggest you state more clearly what you mean. "Tools and efficiency" can be VERY subjective. Most server admins do not touch the GUI, most power users use the terminal above the GUI versions of most "tools" some people even choose nano over gedit for editing config files.

Bottom line, in my opinion, install a normal system and you can do everything anyway you please, albeit most people here will help you by running stuff in terminal, so it is a win-win-loose-loose situation.

Cheers and good luck.

EDIT:
    Assuming you are not setting up any MAJOR server yet, the easiest way to get it onto a network (assuming the network has a DHCP host) is by running:
    Code:
    sudo dhclient
    This will auto configure a wired connection connected to a DHCP network, as stated above, this will be a dynamic IP address, but can be made static by following the above if you so desire.
    Last edited by zero2xiii; June 18th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lyianx View Post
    They are exactly the same packages.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by lyianx View Post
    Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you.

If you haven't already installed the desktop version instead, you can install all the desktop stuff on the server with the command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
    although I personally prefer xubuntu-desktop.

With Ubuntu, the server version has all the GUI stuff removed. The reason being that a server sits in a rack in a data centre with no screen and is managed remotely. You can always turn all the GUI stuff off when it's being used as a server, to save some memory. But if you're not familiar with Linux administration then you are better off having the GUI stuff installed.

P.S.
    The GUI network configuration utility will ignore interfaces that are configured in the /etc/network/interfaces file, so if you want to be able to use the GUI to configure eth0, comment out all its config in the interfaces file agin.
    Last edited by The Cog; June 23rd, 2013 at 01:41 PM.

Beans

@lyianx: Ubuntu Server networking is configured in /etc/network/interfaces as mentioned earlier. Ubuntu Desktop includes the NetworkManager utility which offers a GUI for network configuration. If you install NetworkManager on a machine where networking has already been configured in /etc/network/interfaces then it's best to delete everything from /etc/network/interfaces except "auto lo\niface lo inet loopback" and then configure interfaces anew using the NetworkManager connection editor.