Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help buying a server

Beans

Help buying a server

I hope someone can give me some advice on this.
    I'd like to setup a low powered server at home, something not too expensive but that could do things such as :
    -be connected to few cctv cameras through wireless and wire and monitor motions, saves videos of detections.
    -allow me to run backups and save my other laptops data in the server hdd.
    -allow me to run some normal programs such as torrents etc.

What sort of hardware would you advice in order to build something appropriate for the tasks I need?
    and yeah, I'd like to run ubuntu on it, do you think that will do the job?

Thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help buying a server

I just picked up one of these. They sip electric and can hold 16Gig's RAM!

I think this board or similar will be up to the task.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by cpu2007 View Post
    I'd like to setup a low powered server at home, something not too expensive but that could do things such as :
    You specified everything nicely except your budget. How much is your budget for this *not too expensive* machine? Do you need just the CPU or the whole kit and kaboodle (monitor, keyboard, mouse)?

There are old but nicely spec'd and decent refurb PC's between $179-$299 HERE.
    Overclocked HPML150 running Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

It sounds like a light workload, and I don't think you need anything expensive.

I think you should begin with a Xubuntu server installation on any random box you have around. When you have experience with that you know if there's a reason to upgrade.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by volkswagner View Post
    I just picked up one of these. They sip electric and can hold 16Gig's RAM!

I think this board or similar will be up to the task.
    +1. I have (3) of these Sandy Bridge Celeron 847 boards at home. They all work great, where inexpensive, and use very little power. I use (2) of these Gigabyte boards to run Openelec for XBMC and a Biostar version that came with 8GB of RAM for my fileserver with (8) 2TB disks in a SnapRAID double parity array (I needed the PCIe slot for my IBM M1015 card).

The fileserver runs SABnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato, Headphones, Syslog-NG, Nut, LAMP, Unifi Controller, and plexmediaserver without breaking a sweat. This board should be more than up to the tasks you mentioned.

Openelec worked great and works out of the box, but I did need to disable rc6 in Ubuntu by editing /etc/default/grub to prevent the box from randomly crashing. Editing the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT line as follows and rebooting made my fileserver rock solid (Ubuntu 12.04 Server).

Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i915.i915_enable_rc6=0"
    The Ivy Bridge version of this board is a little more expensive, more powerful, and uses even slightly less power.
    Last edited by rubylaser; June 18th, 2013 at 03:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi

Interesting looking board. It may do what i need as well.

Does anybody have any statistics on the actual power usage ?

My google-fu must be letting me down as i could not find any when i searched.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rubylaser View Post
    +1. I have (3) of these Sandy Bridge Celeron 847 boards at home. They all work great, where inexpensive, and use very little power. I use (2) of these Gigabyte boards to run Openelec for XBMC and a Biostar version that came with 8GB of RAM for my fileserver with (8) 2TB disks in a SnapRAID double parity array (I needed the PCIe slot for my IBM M1015 card).
    That Biostar one is nice. I'm getting the itch to try building an HTPC now.. except with my media server being my file server....

What kind of cases do you use with them? The last HTPC I built was in a monster case. >.<
    Last edited by CharlesA; June 19th, 2013 at 04:50 AM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    That Biostar one is nice. I'm getting the itch to try building an HTPC now.. except with my media server being my file server....

What kind of cases do you use with them? The last HTPC I built was in a monster case. >.<
    I used this case. It's cheap, quiet, and is about the size of a Shuttle case cut in half vertically. Also, my fileserver with (9) total disks uses less than 30 watts of power when my data disks are spun down. This saves me a MASSIVE amount of electricity compared to my previous Core2Quad setup (100+ Watts).

Here's a couple pictures of my development area with two of these Celeron 847 boxes running (one of them was one of my fileservers and the second is an ipfire box), and the two budget gigabit switches, and then a second picture of my APC showing the current load (41 Watts). Don't comment on the cable management, this is a development / working / testing area

Last edited by rubylaser; June 20th, 2013 at 04:28 PM. Reason: pictures not showing up

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Cool. I was actually looking at that case but I had never heard of the APEX brand before. I really like that it has an internal 3.5" bay, and since that Biostar ITX board has Intel graphics, that would work out nicely.

Sidenote, I don't see any pictures.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Sidenote, I don't see any pictures.
    Hopefully, you can view them now. I moved them out of Evernote, and hosted them on my webserver.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast