Thread: Cannot update due to Postgresql - CEST HINT: Is another postmaster already running o

Beans

Question Cannot update due to Postgresql - CEST HINT: Is another postmaster already running o

Hello!

Running Ubuntu 13.04 since it's release.
    Suddenly I am having problem with Postgres, googled and tried out some suggestions for getting postgres right again - but failing :
    Setting up postgresql-common (140) ...
    * Starting PostgreSQL 9.1 database server * The PostgreSQL server failed to start. Please check the log output:
    2013-06-18 10:08:58 CEST LOG: could not bind IPv4 socket: Cannot assign requested address
    2013-06-18 10:08:58 CEST HINT: Is another postmaster already running on port 5432? If not, wait a few seconds and retry.
    2013-06-18 10:08:58 CEST WARNING: could not create listen socket for "172.16.34.24"
    2013-06-18 10:08:58 CEST FATAL: could not create any TCP/IP sockets

When trying to upgrade, this error destroys my day:
    I run the command -> sudo apt-get upgrade
    but, nothing happens - due to above failure.

Why is this problem occuring now and what can I do to fix it / bypass it ?

Regards, G

Beans

Re: Cannot update due to Postgresql - CEST HINT: Is another postmaster already runni

Use "ps ax | grep postmaster" to see if there is another instance already running. If so, note its process ID, the first entry in the line returned, then run "sudo kill -9 PID" replacing PID with the appropriate process ID. Here, for instance, is the entry corresponding to PostgreSQL on my server:

Code:
    10186 ?        S     14:37 /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
    so I would issue a "sudo kill -9 10186" to stop it.

First, though, have you tried shutting it down cleanly with the "sudo service postgresql stop" command?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Cannot update due to Postgresql - CEST HINT: Is another postmaster already runni

Hello S!

Thank you for your effort.
    No process running : ps ax | grep postmaster

Still stuck.

Regards, G

Beans

First, are you sure the machine has address 172.16.34.24? What does ifconfig say?

Are you using a firewall? Is it blocking port 5432 on 172.16.34.24? I've found that services may not bind to an interface/port that is globally blocked by iptables.

If you run "telnet 172.16.34.24 5432" from the machine itself what happens? Do you get a response?

Have you tried rebooting?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Beans

Hi!

The address is wrong
    2013-06-19 17:14:38 CEST WARNING: could not create listen socket for "172.16.34.24"

>ifconfig
    inet addr:192.168.10.163 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0

So I have the 192.168.10.163

I had the wrong settings in my /etc/hosts file
    Now I edited that : so the only one left is:
    127.0.0.1 localhost

I restarted the computer.
    The same fault is left.

hmmm.

regards, G

Beans

What address is specified as the "listen" address in postgresql.conf? By default it will only bind to localhost. My copy reads:

Code:
    listen_addresses = 'localhost'     # what IP address(es) to listen on;
                        # comma-separated list of addresses;
                        # defaults to 'localhost', '*' = all
    If you want to bind to all addresses, you need to use "listen_addresses=*". You'll also probably have to adjust the settings in pg_hba.conf as well.

Beans

Hello Sensje

My file says :
    listen_addresses = '172.16.34.24' # what IP address(es) to listen on;

Changed it to 'localhost' and it seems to solve my problem!!

Thanks so much.
    This is due to my lack of knowledge regarding postgresql, I am
    trying / still just thinking / to switch from mysql to postgresql ...
    So this is definitely a move in the right direction.

Thanks!!

-G