Thread: Configure PPA's

Beans

Configure PPA's

Is it possible to use just one program in a ppa?

in the past i added a ppa for one program not knowing there were others on it and after an update it broke my system.

Beans

Re: Configure PPA's

Well you could install & use synaptic, it affords you a better look at what's upgradeable & you can pick & choose as desired.
    It also has an "Origins" tab that lets you see all the packages in a ppa, either installed or available
    (screen 1 shows all avail. from that ppa, screen 2 shows what is installed from that ppa

Otherwise if you know the package name then use apt-get to install your ppa upgrade & nothing else from the ppa unless it's a dep of your ppa package

sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade <package name>

Ex. - if I wanted the newer rhythmbox from the gnome 3 ppa for raring, after enabling the ppa I'd -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade rhythmbox
    In that case upgrading rhythmbox would also upgrade the other rhythmbox packages & that's all.

Sometimes just a package name won't give you all you want, in that case you can add on -
    Ex. I want to upgrade mplayer & mplayer-doc from a ppa for precise. In this case there is an add. dep of libopus0, so -

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade mplayer mplayer-doc
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      libopus0
    Suggested packages:
      opus-tools netselect fping
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libopus0
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      mplayer mplayer-doc
    2 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.

Do keep in mind you can add an -s to any apt-get command to simulate, nothing happens for real. It's a good way to check before doing a cli upgrade
    Ex.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get -s upgrade
    or from first Ex.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -s install --only-upgrade rhythmbox
    If all is well then rerun command with the -s removed
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mc4man; June 18th, 2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: missing]

Beans

Thank you for your well written response it was very helpful.

I liked using synaptic in the past and would prefer to do it that way then type in the command line.

i was surfing around and saw something about priorities and it said i can do it in synaptic but i do not see a way. is it the settings > internal option where i would enter a value. or would locking the whole ppa except for what i want be a better way?

Beans

It would be better to put packages that you don't want "upgraded" to the PPA version on hold (Synaptic calls it "Lock Version" in the Package menu).

Beans

Beans

If you are concerned about using synaptic for upgrades & still inadvertently upgrading unwanted from the ppa then I'd go with pining the ppa as described in the link in above post. Gave it a try & works fine.
    Just upgrade the package(s) you do want from the ppa first before pining the ppa.

If unsure of the exact o=LP-PPA-xxxx line to put in the file then run apt-cache policy & you'll find it on your ppa's lines

Beans

ok i looked into everything and tried it out. my new question on this is, is there an easy to to set up a pin to include the package and its dependencies?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NoobKing View Post
    ok i looked into everything and tried it out. my new question on this is, is there an easy to to set up a pin to include the package and its dependencies?
    Not sure I understand your question's intent concerning deps

If you pin the ppa then only packages you upgraded before pinning will be eligible for future upgrades from the ppa, this includes any deps that the ppa provides, if any.

If the deps are installed from the normal Ubuntu repos then no reason to pin them, Ubuntu only does security & occasionally some bug fixes post release so you would not want to pin those packages to current versions

Beans

Package: *
    Pin: release o=LP-PPA-nathan-renniewaldock
    Pin-Priority: 400

Package: ddclient
    Pin: release o=LP-PPA-nathan-renniewaldock
    Pin-Priority: 500

Using the setup from above i would need to have all the dependencies for ddclient in that ppa listed there as well otherwise it would not use them correct? so my question is there a short hand way to have the program there along with its dependencies and set a pin-priority to it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NoobKing View Post
    Using the setup from above i would need to have all the dependencies for ddclient in that ppa listed there as well otherwise it would not use them correct?
    No
    With the ppa not pinned install/upgrade the ppa's ddclient (in synaptic would be fine
    This will also install any needed dependencies inc. any in the ppa.
    Also take a look in synaptic > Origin > that ppa for anything else you want installed/upgraded from the ppa

Once that's all done then just pin the ppa, no need to pin any ppa packages you've installed

If any of the previously (pre-pin), installed packages in the ppa updates, you'll be offered & be able to upgrade to them.

Do note -
    If any of the ppa packages you installed are upgraded in the Ubuntu repos to a higher version than the ppa then you'll be offered to upgrade to them. At that point you decide what to do, ignore the upgrades, accept the upgrades or ignore & see if the ppa updates those packages in due course