Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to set partition to mount on startup

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: how to set partition to mount on startup

No, the partition still has a UUID. Kubuntu uses the UUID for the mount point if it doesn't have a label. UUIDs are generated at partition creation, IIRC.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ1981 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the help! I got everything up & running with my desired UUID & fstab edited properly. So kubuntu uses the partition's label as the UUID when mounting, and generates a random one if there isn't one. That's good to know. Thanks for the tip on the options...I wasn't sure what to put in there so I went by the example in the tutorial...defaults is all I need unless I want something special.
    There is no randomness. udisks will mount to /media/LABEL if the partition has a label. It will mount to /media/UUID if there is no partition label.

You can circumvent this by creating a entry in fstab enabling you to mount it wherever you please.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ1981 View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the help! I got everything up & running
    Glad you got all the info you needed! The forums are a great community, and one of the things I find most impressive and appealing about Ubuntu and it's derivatives.

Oh, and remember to mark your threads "solved" once the initial problem is answered to your satisfaction!
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Just one nitpick:

Quote Originally Posted by dave2001 View Post
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    On a KDE system that should be:
    Code:
    kdesu kate /etc/fstab

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    No, the partition still has a UUID. Kubuntu uses the UUID for the mount point if it doesn't have a label. UUIDs are generated at partition creation, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    There is no randomness. udisks will mount to /media/LABEL if the partition has a label. It will mount to /media/UUID if there is no partition label.

You can circumvent this by creating a entry in fstab enabling you to mount it wherever you please.

Right. The randomness I'm referring to is the system-generated UUID, itself. I know it stays the same once it's initially generated, but it generates a random UUID at that point. Gparted had an option to change to a new system-generated UUID. Considering that my partition is now labeled, I don't have to worry about that. Marking solved now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12