Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to set partition to mount on startup

Beans

how to set partition to mount on startup

Hi guys, seeing as I'm really new to Linux, period, I'm still learning the ins & outs & without much time during the day to do so, which puts me on a slow learning curve. Here's thing: I set up a separate ext4 partition to make FFR easier if I need to (hope that with the switch to Linux, I no longer have to worry about doing it much). It's of course set up under media & shows up in Dolphin as another drive. However, if I want to access it, I always have to go into Dolphin first & mount it (easily done just by clicking on it to open it up, but a bit of an inconvenience to do it every time I start up), and I don't remember to do it right after I start up. So if I want to set Amarok to access my music on that partition, it doesn't exist until it's mounted. I'm thinking there is a way to do this since Linux was created for the user to customize to his/her own desires granted s/he knows how to manipulate the system well enough. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by BigZ1981; June 18th, 2013 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: how to set partition to mount on startup

Hi BigZ1981.

Take a look at this tutorial.

Let us know if you need any help with that.
    Regards.

Beans

VERY informative. Thank you. I couldn't do the system-wide mount, but then I saw a line that directed me into system settings, so I looked in there, and found the option for mounting it under removable devices. This brings up another question, though. How do I changed the system-assigned UUID for it? It's difficult to use if I want to link directly to it when using terminal...or can I link directly as "/dev/sda6"?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Ubuntu handles mounting drives with a file called "fstab", which is short for file system table i'd imagine.

In order to open it with appropriate root editing privledges, type the following into terminal:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/fstab
    input password and you should see the file. Save a backup copy as fstab.bak before altering it.

your going to add a new line at the bottom of fstab telling your comp to mount the seperate ext4 partition. It will look something like this:
    Code:
    /dev/sda2    /YourMountPoint        ext4    defaults  0       0
    The only thing you'll need to change is /dev/sda2, to match the identifier of your parition. You can also change the YourMountPoint to where ever you want the parition mounted. Next time you reboot, it should auto-mount.

Let us know if you have questions!
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans

Thanks Dave. I did try that, but got a mounting error when I restarted to test it. The line I put in was:
    Code:
    /dev/sda6     /media/storage     ext4     user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000     0     0
    So I simply just set it to "Automount on login" in System Settings > Removable Drives.
    Guess I should have looked there before asking the question, but hindsight is 20/20.

So, like my previous question, if I want to navigate to the partition using terminal or anything else that requires me to type a path, can I get there using /dev/sda6 or do I need to use the UUID, and if I need to use the UUID, is there a way to change it from the system-assigned default?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I believe that if you give the partition a label it will be automatically mounted using that rather than UUID.

Using the UUID in fstab is recommended, however.

Although I would personally persevere with the fstab approach, having it mounted to a location based on it's UUID isn't functionally that problematic. If you're clicking on it, it doesn't really matter what it's called, and Tab-completion means that you never need to actually type it. It just doesn't look pretty.

You wouldn't use the /dev/sda6 path; that refers to the device rather than the filesystem on it.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ1981 View Post
    Thanks Dave. I did try that, but got a mounting error when I restarted to test it. The line I put in was:
    Code:
    /dev/sda6     /media/storage     ext4     user,fmask=0111,dmask=0000     0     0
    (...)
    In principle that line should work. You have to make sure the mount point exists before mounting the partition, in other words, create the directory /media/storage. The option "user" is not necessary if you're automounting it at boot. I'm not sure about the fmask and dmask options. To make sure you can access the partition, give yourself permission to read/write/execute the mount point, or make a directory inside with those permissions. You'll be able to access it through /media/storage. You don't have to reboot to test it, giving the command
    Code:
    sudo mount -a
    is enough.

If it doesn't work, can you post the error message?

Edit: I checked the manual. fmask and umask are for mounting fat partitions, not ext4 (as Morbius1 said below).
    Last edited by Impavidus; June 18th, 2013 at 12:54 PM.

Beans

Code:
    So I simply just set it to "Automount on login" in System Settings > Removable Drives.
    Guess I should have looked there before asking the question, but hindsight is 20/20.

So, like my previous question, if I want to navigate to the partition using terminal or anything else that requires me to type a path, can I get there using /dev/sda6 or do I need to use the UUID, and if I need to use the UUID, is there a way to change it from the system-assigned default?
    ** You can't set a file or directory mask on an ext4 partition in fstab.
    ** If you are going to do this use UUID's instead.
    ** I don't use KDE but it sounds like "AUtomount on login" is using udisks so the way to change the automatically generated mount point is to change the label of the partition - or in your case add one.

There's a way to do that from the terminal which I can never remember without my notes so I would suggest you use gparted to do it. Once you change the label it should mount to /media/LABEL or /media/$USER/LABEL depending on which version of Kubuntu you are using.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

if I want to navigate to the partition using terminal or anything else that requires me to type a path, can I get there using /dev/sda6 or do I need to use the UUID, and if I need to use the UUID, is there a way to change it from the system-assigned default?
    Once you have a partition mounted, you should access it through the mount-point. (eg. /media/storage).

For manipulation of the actual partition you can use the device designation (dev/sda6), but UUID is more robust. I'm not sure about changing system assigned UUID's, I've never looked into it.
    It's UBUNTASTIC!
    -Custom Built Box Ubuntu 12.04 & Windows 7 dual boot: AMD-fx6300 3.5 GHz, Asrock 990FX Extreme4, Radeon HD7870, Ares 1600 Ram, Samsung EVO SSD, Momentus Hybrid HDD.
    -Thinkpad T500: KDE-Ubuntu 13.10 & Windows 7 dual boot

Beans

Awesome! Thanks for the help! I got everything up & running with my desired UUID & fstab edited properly. So kubuntu uses the partition's label as the UUID when mounting, and generates a random one if there isn't one. That's good to know. Thanks for the tip on the options...I wasn't sure what to put in there so I went by the example in the tutorial...defaults is all I need unless I want something special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast