Thread: Setting up a Hauppauge 1800 TV Tuner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Setting up a Hauppauge 1800 TV Tuner

I have an HP desktop running 12.04 LTS and I'm trying to get the TV tuner working. The tuner came with the PC (HP Pavilion Elite m9340f) and worked with Windows. It is a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1800. I've done a little research but haven't found anything that works out-of-the-box. I've heard that the driver (cx23885?) isn't compatible with certain kernel versions (I have 3.2.0-45-generic). Most of the threads I've found seem discouraging; it sounds like other people have had little success getting this working.... but the list of compatible tuners on the Hauppauge wiki implies some people have had success. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Also, I have digital cable (w/ cable box). TVTime Television Viewer shows a blue screen and says "No signal, Cannot open capture device /dev/video0." Me TV says "There are no DVB devices available." I can see the tuner if I run lspci, but I'm guessing the issue is with the driver.
    Last edited by tomwbro; June 11th, 2013 at 02:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Setting up a Hauppauge 1800 TV Tuner

Well, the whole reason I started this is because my old TV died. All I wanted was a replacement, but I didn't want to buy one if I could get the TV tuner on my Linux box to work. After fighting with firmware and MythTV for a week, I just looked at the back of my cable box and, lo and behold, it has an HDMI output! So, my old HDMI computer monitor is now my new HDTV.