Thread: introducing my dad to ubuntu forums

Beans

Question introducing my dad to ubuntu forums

Since first persuading my dad on the benefits of Linux, he has yet to look for support online from the forums or IRC. He has been unconvinced that this free expert support is real, or something that a novice like him can benefit, though he may be ready to change. I'm looking for advice from the forums here on how to guide him to use Linux more effectively. How can I persuade my dad to come to these forums for assistance first (before waiting for me to visit)?

Our most immediate problem is recovering his (budtuba's) forum password. After requesting a password reset last night, his gmail account did not immediately receive the "Your login details for Ubuntu Forums" mail. Can an Administrator confirm whether a reset was sent?

I've been using Linux for 20 years, beginning with Slackware, followed by several others, including Debian and briefly Ubuntu. I appreciate the work of Ubuntu to make Linux more useful to more people, while I personally prefer Gentoo. Consequently I know how Linux works generally but I'm not very familiar with the preferred methods of Ubuntu. These are what my father ought to learn more of, so his computer remains as reliable and functionable as possible. I don't feel I can be the best teacher for him (even if I could be as available as he needs).

My Dad is a retired engineer (optical) who has used Microsoft Windows for most of his life before switching. His computer is set up for dual booting, and often boots into Windows for periods of time when he can't get something to work in Linux.

(Incidentally, this itself produces frequent problems for him, because a feature of the motherboard he bought reports hard disk order inconsistently, interfering with the Linux boot process. Grub2 also reports a defunct Windows Home installation on his boot menu, which has confused him.)

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: introducing my dad to ubuntu forums

Our most immediate problem is recovering his (budtuba's) forum password. After requesting a password reset last night, his gmail account did not immediately receive the "Your login details for Ubuntu Forums" mail. Can an Administrator confirm whether a reset was sent?
    Moving thread to the Resolution Centre so that an admin can look at the password reset issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure how/if a password reset is/was sent... but I have emailed another password reminder to that email address.
    If he has more than one email account, you should check another.
    Last edited by Iowan; June 18th, 2013 at 12:43 AM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!

Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

I've just discovered that my dad (BudTuba) can neither post replies or new threads. Can somebody fix this status for him? He's been distrustful of using these forums, and now I've discovered he's prevented from doing anything at all. Instead he gets an error message indicating he doesn't have sufficient score (25 beans) to take the action. Here I'd thought he was just being obtuse, and instead his account is actually borked. I'd very much appreciate it if somebody could correct this for him soon.

Beans

I looked closer at the error message he's getting:

BudTuba, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of the following reasons:

1. If you have made fewer than 25 posts, access to your personal settings is restricted. See here for more details.
    2. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    3. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Perhaps it's the case that his account is not yet activated? Could someone confirm that, or else send him another activation email?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Your Dad should have a confirmation email, with a link to confirm his account, or password change. I'll move him to the proper user group, so he shouldn't have a problem posting, or creating new threads.