Thread: Touchscreen works for finger BUT not for stylus

Beans

Unhappy Touchscreen works for finger BUT not for stylus

Hi all,

I have problem to calibrate touchscreen for stylus.

When I use the finger, it always works very good. The stylus also works well before I did some system update(I am not sure what update is).

After updated some package, the screen can sense the stylus but the cursor is super inaccurate, almost out of the screen. I can't calibrate it by system settings.

Here is some information,

[Ubuntu 13.04, Thinkpad X230t]

Code:
    $ xinput list
    ⎡ Virtual core pointer                        id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                  id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen stylus                   id=11    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom ISDv4 E6 Finger touch                 id=12    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad                  id=14    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen eraser                   id=16    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint                       id=17    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎜   ↳ Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless PID:401b    id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                       id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard                 id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Power Button                                id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Video Bus                                   id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Sleep Button                                id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ Integrated Camera                           id=10    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard                id=13    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ↳ ThinkPad Extra Buttons                      id=15    [slave  keyboard (3)]
    Code:
    $ xinput list-props "Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen stylus"
    Device 'Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen stylus':
        Wacom Tablet Area (289):    0, 0, 2776, 1569

Code:
    $ xinput list-props "Wacom ISDv4 E6 Finger touch"
    Device 'Wacom ISDv4 E6 Finger touch':
        Wacom Tablet Area (289):    930, 391, 5323, 8820
    It seems that the cursor improves by changing the 'Wacom Tablet Area' property. But I can't figure out the accurate value for it?

How should I do?

Best

Beans

Re: Touchscreen works for finger BUT not for stylus

Hey, I had a similar if not the same issue with 13.04: the cursor of the stylus was out of the screen area and calibration made it even worse. I found a 'solution' in resetting the area for the stylus and the eraser. Not so elegant but efficient -- at least for me. For the stylus:
    Code:
      xsetwacom --set "Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen stylus" resetArea
    And for the eraser:
    Code:
      xsetwacom --set "Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen eraser" resetArea
    Does this solution work for you?

Beans

thanks man!

had the same problem: the "Wacom Tablets & TabletPC Properties Tool" Calibration didn't do a good job, as well as the xinput_calibrator - both calibrations were off, not even close to being usable.

but once one of these were used, I couldn't figure out how to reset the whole thing, until i saw your post - thanks!

EDIT: If you know how to make this permanent, that would be nice. Whenever the screen is rotated I'm back to the old unusable settings.

EDIT 2: Found it. Use the dconf editor and go to
    Code:
    org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.wacom
    and change the area settings to whatever your output of
    Code:
    xsetwacom get "Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen stylus" Area
    is

do you also happen to know a fix for the edge-behavior? when going close to the left or the bottom edge with the stylus, the cursor moves slightly faster, which makes it hard to use the stylus precisely in these areas. the top and right edge this effect is almost not noticeable
    Last edited by Eraemaajaervi; June 20th, 2013 at 03:43 PM. Reason: solution found

Beans

Yes!
    Thanks!!! It works pretty well.

What is the root of these problems??

Have you add these statements to your .bashrc?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Eraemaajaervi View Post
    had the same problem: the "Wacom Tablets & TabletPC Properties Tool" Calibration didn't do a good job, as well as the xinput_calibrator - both calibrations were off, not even close to being usable.
    I guess both are the same; "Wacom Tablets & TabletPC Properties Tool" is just a GUI for xinput_calibrator. If I remember correctly, the GUI didn't even work for me under 12.04 at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eraemaajaervi View Post
    EDIT 2: Found it. Use the dconf editor and go to
    Code:
    org.gnome.settings-daemon.peripherals.wacom
    and change the area settings to whatever your output of
    Code:
    xsetwacom get "Wacom ISDv4 E6 Pen stylus" Area
    is do you also happen to know a fix for the edge-behavior? when going close to the left or the bottom edge with the stylus, the cursor moves slightly faster, which makes it hard to use the stylus precisely in these areas. the top and right edge this effect is almost not noticeable
    That's a nice solution. I just linked the rotation button with a very short script which handled the rotation and the resetting at once. Currently, I'm with OpenSuse but tonight I'm going to switch back to Ubuntu because of the fact I really like Unity... I will try your approach then! Unfortunately, the edge behavior is not an OS based problem, it's a design problem of the screen (some kind of magnetic effect on the edges). There are a lot of threads all around the internet where people are complaining about this behavior. Well, I complained about this fact as well, but in every day use it doesn't bother me too much. It's just that the x230t is not the cheapest device out there and because of that it is a shame they were so sloppy in the manufacturing...
    Quote Originally Posted by ppn029012 View Post
    What is the root of these problems?? Have you add these statements to your .bashrc?
    Actually, I don't know what the problem is. Maybe some driver issues? Hm, I never used the .bashrc so far... what would be the use case?