Thread: xrandr in sctip vs "rotate" in xorg.conf

Beans

xrandr in sctip vs "rotate" in xorg.conf

Hello all,

[If this is not the correct forum for this question, please redirect me. Thanks!]

USING UBUNTU 10.04

I'm using a swivle monitor, and I'm trying to figure out the most effective strategy for rotating the X video output selectively, when I need to, depending on the application I use.

For years, I've had the following in the "Device" section in my xorg.conf:

Code:
    Option    "Rotate"    "CCW"
    Option    "RandRRotation"    "on"
    This works fine, but to be more precise: I get the Ubuntu Gnome Login screen in portrait (vertical), as well as all other windows in all other applications (with the monitor oriented vertically of course). Everything is happy, except whenever I install almost anything from apt-get, synaptic, or update-manager, I now and then see messages on the console such as:
    Code:
    Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".
    RandR extension missing
    This is fine, it does not impede installations of updates.

But if I want to temporarily rotate the display to a different orientation, I know I should be able to use a command such as: xrandr -o normal

And I get the same error. I also noticed that if I launch Nvidia's proprietary configuration tool, there is no "Rotation" option available, even though my xorg.conf file clearly indicates "RandRRotation" "on" -- and this happens regardless of whether "RandRRotation" "on" is above or below "rotate" "CCW"

HOWEVER...

If I remove the line "ROTATE" "CCW" -- THEN what happens:

1. Login screen is always landscape (horizontal)
    2. After login, the window is still landscape, until I change it.
    3. I can change it, because both the RANDR extension is available (I can use xrandr -o left) AND the rotation option is available in the Nvidia configuration app.

Question:

1. Are "Rotate" in xorg.conf and RANDR extension mutually exclusive? If so, is that documented somewhere? I could not find it in the X man pages.
    2. Is it somehow possible to have the login screen in Portrait mode and still have the RANDR extension available, to be able to run xrandr commands?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by r_avital; June 17th, 2013 at 01:29 AM.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans

Re: xrandr in sctip vs "rotate" in xorg.conf

Okay, answered my own question.

1. Yes, the "rotate" option in xorg.conf is not compatible with the RANDR extension. RANDR is supported as of X.Org version X11R6.8.1. I found a clear statement to that effect in ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Li...ppendix-b.html -- I doubt that this is unique to Nvidia, but I could not find any similar statement in any of the "pure" xorg archives.

2. Found a fairly trivial solution, looking at my /etc/gdm/ folder, there are four folders: Init, PostLogin, PostSession, and PreSession. Each has a script named "Default" (except PostLogin which has a script named "Default.Sample").

I edited /etc/gdm/init/Default -- the very last line reads: exit 0
    Inserted just before that line: xrandr -o left

Now my login screen is output in portrait mode, and so is the post-login session, and the RANDR extension is available -- the "rotation" option in the Nvidia config screen is available, and xrandr commands in a terminal execute without errors.
    Last edited by r_avital; June 17th, 2013 at 01:29 AM.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein