Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thought this was a good link for us "noobs" to read.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Thought this was a good link for us "noobs" to read.

http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-li...-gnome-or-xfce

If you're a noobie to Linux like I am then you sometimes get confused about all the different types that are talked about.
    Unity, KDE, Xfce, ext. don't mean much to you when you hear about them. I ran across this link that really helped to explain it all to me and how the different desktop environments use RAM and CPU's and what they look like. Figured I'd pass it on to others here so they can read up and understand how this stuff works. Anyway, enjoy.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Thought this was a good link for us "noobs" to read.

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    http://www.renewablepcs.com/about-li...-gnome-or-xfce . . . . I ran across this link that really helped to explain it all to me and how the different desktop environments use RAM and CPU's and what they look like. Figured I'd pass it on to others here so they can read up and understand how this stuff works. Anyway, enjoy.
    The renewablepcs.com link contains a very nice survey of most of the popular DEs. Thanks for alerting us to it.

Beans
    Distro

Just glad I could help out a little bit. I was somewhat puzzled about all the off shoots of Ubuntu and all the different things like KDE, Gnome, Unity, Xfce and what the difference was and thanks to that web site I now have a bit better understanding of what it all means. Figured I'd just pass it on to anyone else who was in the same boat as me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There's a good post on the Linux Mint forums explaining DE's and WM's too.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopi...=54945#p314893
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the link, got it bookmarked for future ref. I can honestly say over the last couple weeks I've had more fun and learned more about Linux then I ever have. I guess having my ol' iMac die on me was sort of a blessing in disguise since it's forced me to get back into computers more. I absolutely my used HP nc8230 even if it is pretty much "obsolete" by todays standards. Back in it's day it was a fairly expensive laptop and was even listed as a desktop replacement. If seems to be built like a tank and all the hardware feels like it's working pretty well with Linux, especially my favorite Op System, Ubuntu 12.04.2. I'm pleased as punch with my set up. Anyway, keep any other good links ya'll can find coming. Maybe if I can read up more about stuff I won't ask so many "stupid" questions and get on everyone's nerves with em'.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks a lot ... learned a lot from it ... if you find something about kernels and how they work . please do post

Beans

Thank you! Definitely going to read this!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by abhich View Post
    Thanks a lot ... learned a lot from it ... if you find something about kernels and how they work . please do post
    Perhaps this article at Ubuntu Documentation would be a good starting point - Kernel

Also, there are a few more articles on kernel at NewDocs, under K.
    Last edited by Buntu Bunny; June 25th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

not sure this is the right thread for this thought/question.

been using ubuntu for a while, Mint came out and was considering it. But since it is based upon ubuntu and 13.04 entered -- I waited a couple months for some of its bugs to be resolved. Was using a 12.10 release, so an upgrade made more sense before a clean install of Mint. A friend has Mint and mentioned some bugs in it too. Took the plunge, made the mistake and got rid of nice stable 12.10 environment. 13.04 has proven to have several gui log-in bugs for the desk-top (like the launcher bar not displaying when the gui opens, or it opening in a window with no gui and having to startx from a terminal login then ctrl f1 then sudo shutdown -r now to get the gui with the launcher sidebar, yadda, yadda.

So the question of the day is? Can one 'go back to 12.10 (the nice stable environment) without having to do it by way of clean re-install onto a clean disk? Clean install adds lots of valuable time to the process - but I am very seriously considering it until version 13.04 or later releases gets way more stable on the desktop environment.

Anybody got any thoughts?

thanks

bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast